[OPLINLIST] Ohio Library Support Staff Institute (OLSSI): Registration opens today

Rachel Mathie mathiera at loudonvillelibrary.org
Mon May 10 15:38:20 EDT 2021

Dear Colleagues,

Registration for the 19th annual Ohio Library Support Staff Institute (OLSSI) is now open. The Institute is dedicated to providing Support Staff with a conference and retreat experience, full of practical tips and information for all types of libraries.

Visit <http://olssi.org/classes> https://olssi.org/ to register for this free online conference, which is open to all library staff, in Ohio and beyond.

  *   Registration: opens today at <https://olssi.org/classes/> https://olssi.org/registration/
  *   Institute: July 26 - 30, 2021, with both morning and afternoon sessions
  *   Schedule of sessions: available below and at https://olssi.org/classes/

Please share this message with your colleagues who may be interested and feel free to reach out to me directly (schaffs at denison.edu<mailto:schaffs at denison.edu>) with any questions. It's been my pleasure to serve on the OLSSI Steering Committee and I'm happy to provide more information about the Institute and our online format for 2021.

Take care,
Sarah

***
“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
Sarah Schaff<https://libguides.denison.edu/prf.php?account_id=17569>, Discovery Librarian @ Denison Libraries<https://denison.edu/campus/library>

OLSSI 2021: Schedule of Classes

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Monday 26th 9:00am:

Virtual Team Building: Easy Energizers for Those who Hate Icebreakers.
Dr. Kristen Lindsay
Assistant Registrar, Terra State Community College
Need an online activity to boost team enthusiasm or motivation? Try an icebreaker that encourages comradery and fits the mood, from pop culture trivia to sharing personality insights. Melt the chill of even the toughest crowd by tailoring activities to the right temperature.

Art of Customer Service
Jessica Curtis
SearchOhio Coordinator, Adult Services Librarian; Westerville Public Library This program is designed for anyone who interacts with the public. What is customer service and why is it important? This program will introduce and improve the soft skills needed to deliver truly excellent customer service. Staff and managers alike are invited to discover how patience, positive language, body language, and active training can make anyone a true “artist” of customer service.

*7:00pm Activity: Game Night #1

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tuesday 27th 1:30pm

Can I Post / Copy / Digitize That?
Jenni Salamon
Manager, Digital Services & Web Properties, Ohio History Connection
Copyright should always be considered when sharing items outside your institution, from selecting items to include in your digital collection to posting on social media, to providing photocopies of materials for patrons. Jenni Salamon, Manager, Digital Services & Web Properties, at the Ohio History Connection, will provide a brief overview of copyright, covering terms for published and unpublished works; exceptions within the law; and resources for copyright status research.

Your Big Return: Professional Brand Management Post-Pandemic
Shawn Beem, J.D.
Assistant Dean for Professional Development, Capital University Law School
During the time of the COVID-19 pandemic, everyone has experienced workspaces with fewer colleagues and patrons, some level of new technology and remote work, and socially distanced, masked interactions. But what will work life be like for us as we start to return to “normal”? Attendees at this session will learn how to refresh their professional brand, how to use their brand to enhance their interactions with colleagues and patrons, and how to identify and market the new technology and communication skills learned during the pandemic for future professional use.

*7:00pm Activity: Movie Night (Netflix)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Wednesday 28th 9:00am

Emerging Lab Tech
Holly Klingler
Research and Innovation Coordinator, Northeast Ohio Regional Library System (NEO-RLS)
NEO-RLS Tech Lab will be showing you the newest technology available to you and your library today. From gadgets that can put a doctor in your pocket, to robots with a large personality, to the new ways you can bring the virtual and augmented reality world to your community, and much more. The Tech Lab allows you to explore what this new tech can do, and consider the possibility of using these gadgets to better serve, teach, and entertain your library community. You will also learn about what other libraries have been doing to utilize this tech in their programs, events, and in their community. Come to ask questions, brainstorm, and explore with emerging tech!

>From Elevator Speech to Front Page News
Molly Calhoun
Public Relations Associate, Tuscarawas County Public Library System
& Megan Kovalaske-Grimm
Public Relations Associate, Tuscarawas County Public Library System
Learn how to identify your brand's strengths and how to make sure your community knows them, too. During this session, you will learn how to identify engaging customer stories and use them to inform the public about your services in a way that doesn't shout "Look at Me!" Create a value-based elevator speech to promote your services, and learn to let our customers tell your story to the community.

*7:00pm Activity: Book Club: Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman.
Slipping through the cracks of reality, Richard lands in Neverwhere—a London of shadows and darkness, monsters and saints, murderers and angels, that exists entirely in a subterranean labyrinth.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thursday 29th 1:30pm

Becoming a Friend of the Deaf Community
Dawn Watts
President, Ohio Citizens for Deaf Cultures
Culture and language intertwine, with language reflecting characteristics of culture. Learning about the culture of Deaf, Hard of Hearing, DeafBlind, plus disabilities people are also learning about their language.

Podcast like a Pro
Jeff Laser
Adult Services Librarian, Bexley Public Library
Podcasting is an excellent way for libraries to connect to their communities, especially as it becomes increasingly important to reach patrons beyond the library's physical space. Jeff Laser, Adult Services Librarian at Bexley Public Library and host of The BPL Podcast, will cover the ins and outs of starting a podcast at your library. Learn what equipment and software you'll need, how to find guests, and how to market your podcast on a reasonable budget.

*7:00pm Activity: Game Night #2

Friday 30th 9:00am - - Closing Speaker

Finding a Future Together: Libraries Beyond COVID
John Burke
Library Director & Principal Librarian, Gardner-Harvey Library, Miami University
The COVID pandemic continues to impact the world, and has certainly not left out library staff and those we serve. As vaccines start to open up a return to a "normal" world, will libraries be able to re-establish normal routines, or will we find new paths? Let us join together to see what has changed in our libraries during the pandemic, what has remained, and how we can approach the future.

*7:00pm Activity: Crafting

--

OLSSI: The Ohio Library Support Staff Institute

olssi.org<http://olssi.org>  |  Facebook<http://on.fb.me/1acgQAZ>  |  Twitter<https://twitter.com/OLSSI_Michael>  |  Pinterest<http://bit.ly/1ach77d>  |  OLSSI Book Club<http://on.fb.me/1iTUmd8>