[OPLINLIST] EXTERNAL: Buddy Project

Grace Freeman gfreeman at ghpl.org
Mon Nov 22 18:48:35 EST 2021

Mary,

So, not quite the same thing, but during COVID we starting this thing called "Project Postcard" so that patrons could see what one another was reading - they pick up a blank postcard (in the library now, but at the time via curbside) and write a review and mail it back to us, or drop it in the book drop. We post the completed cards to social media with links to the titles, and we are planning a story walk featuring kids' reviews (we have received reviews from all age groups (as designed).) More info at www.ghpl.org/postcard<http://www.ghpl.org/postcard>

The relevant part to you is that it was REALLY hard to get people to send them back. We had TONS (hundreds!) picked up from the library, lots of people who wanted to participate, but for the first few months, not ONE completed card was returned. Finally a few months in they started to trickle, and now we get ~1/week on average. Most are dropped off rather than mailed, and a few number of patrons have noted that we don't provide the stamps (though it would be crazy expensive to put stamps on the hundreds that go out, especially when they aren't coming back... no plans to do this, drop off works fine for us!).

I would recommend providing postage since it's something a lot of younger patrons apparently don't often deal with, that we didn't expect to be such a barrier in a pretty passive program like this.

We promoted via social media, curbside pick up, program brochures, etc. and lots of people heard about it and took the blank cards, just didn't follow through. The turning point was when we partnered with the schools, and middle grade classes used it as an assignment and wrote reviews on books they read. Maybe consider partnering with a school, or organization that already exists as a start?

Good luck!

Grace Freeman

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Adult Services Librarian
Grandview Heights Public Library
Where the Community Connects

[cid:4307aae0-f42d-4564-b80b-eb8cbb65090d]

  *   Award-winning, independent suburban library system known for progressive leadership and friendly personalized service.
  *   1 of 6 U.S. public libraries to receive 13 consecutive five-star ratings from Library Journal<https://www.libraryjournal.com/>.
  *   Central Library Consortium<http://www.ghpl.org/about-page/#toggle-id-3> founding member (1988) and Administering Library. The CLC is a cooperative among 17 Central Ohio library systems<http://www.ghpl.org/about-page/#toggle-id-3>.
  *   67 million items<http://www.ghpl.org/2018/02/21/67-million-items/> available to our cardholders through a partnership among the CLC and statewide networks SearchOhio <http://searchohio.westervillelibrary.org/index.php?title=Main_Page>and OhioLINK<https://www.ohiolink.edu/content/about_ohiolink>.

I'm currently reading: The Deadly Hours by Susanna Kearsley, C.S. Harris, Anna Lee Huber, Christine Trent
I'm currently listening to: The Judge's List by John Grisham

Please stay healthy: wash your hands, stay 6 feet apart, wear a mask, and get vaccinated!