[OPLINLIST] Valerie Whetstone Weaver Passes Unexpectedly

marshams at library.ohio.gov marshams at library.ohio.gov
Mon Aug 1 10:38:49 EDT 2022

Please excuse multiple emails…

It is with deep sorrow and heavy hearts that we announce the death of our colleague [cid:image002.jpg at 01D8A592.66FDFFC0] and friend Valeria (Val) Whetstone Weaver, Administrative Professional at SEO<https://servingeveryohioan.org/> (Serving Every Ohioan) Service Center, a division of the State Library located in Caldwell. Val unexpectedly passed away on Monday, July 25, 2022, while traveling in Hartford, CT. Colleagues at SEO described Val as very dedicated to the State Library, Ohio libraries, and library patrons, stressing her service went far beyond fulfilling required responsibilities. She was a valuable team member that could always be counted on and ready to stay late when needed.

Val began her nearly 36-year career for the State Library’s SEO Service Center in 1986, the day after she graduated from high school. She worked two summers barcoding books when library automation was in its early days. She also worked for two years as a student page while attending college. Afterward, Val spent her entire career at SEO serving in evolving positions, including working in the Automation, Bookmobile, Shipping, Receiving, Reference, and Interlibrary Loan Departments.

Beyond her role as an exemplary SEO team member, Val will be missed for her positivity, compassion, sense of humor, inclination toward festive decorations, proclivity for fun, proficiency in organizing and planning successful events with ease, and natural ability to be a friend. Her death is a great loss.

“Valeria was our go-to for all things historical; she stayed true to her reference department roots and could find anything. She had an unmatched memory,” expressed John Stewart, Director of Operations and Technology, SEO Service Center. “She was a dear friend that I am better for knowing. I will miss her dearly.”

Val was an Administrative Professional at SEO since April 2016. Her primary responsibilities included answering general questions about SEO services, coordinating library billings, directing service-specific inquiries to associated departments, acting as a vendor liaison, and updating files for record accuracy. She was also the Talking Book coordinator for Belmont, Monroe, Morgan, Noble and Perry counties for SEO, responsible for helping patrons to get registered for the program, explaining the service, and handling equipment requests and returns.

Although Val’s life ended before we were ready, the time that she spent in our lives was memorable and full of kindness and joyfulness.

The obituary for Valeria (Val) Whetstone Weaver is available at: https://www.chandlerfuneralhome.net/obituary/Valeria-Weaver. Visitation is Thursday, August 4th from 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. at Chandler Funeral Home, 609 West St, Caldwell, OH 43724. A Celebration of Life will follow visitation at 6:00 PM in the Chandler Funeral Home Chapel.

###
[cid:image003.jpg at 01D8A590.FB4A16C0]
Marsha McDevitt-Stredney, Ph.D.
Public Information Officer