[OPLINLIST] Historic Marker Dedication for Ohio African American Suffragist Jewelia Galloway Higgins

Adam Wanter awanter at midpointelibrary.org
Tue Jun 28 08:24:45 EDT 2022

Shared on behalf of the Jewelia Galloway Higgins Dedication Committee:

On behalf of Patricia Smith Griffin and The Charity's Children Project, it is my privilege to invite you all to the Historic Marker Dedication of their ancestor, Ohio Suffragist Jewelia Galloway Higgins.

The event will be Sunday, July 17th, 2022 beginning with a service and presentation about the family history at First Wesleyan Church (401 Gramont Ave. Dayton, OH 45417) at 11am, followed by the Marker Dedication and Ice Cream Social to be held at the former site of the West Side YWCA (236 S Paul L. Dunbar St. Dayton, OH 45417) from 4-6 pm. See attached for a beautiful pdf version of the invitation, including photos of Jewelia Galloway Higgins.

This event is free and open to all!

 Please share this email and the attached invite with your networks, especially those in the Dayton area!

>From Patricia Smith Griffin: The Charity's Children Project is proud to share this inspiring legacy, "becasue there is validation in every family story, and in #YourBlackFamilyStory."

I hope to see you all there!

Sherri Goudy (she/her)
Jewelia Galloway Higgins Dedication Committee Co-chair
Independent Archivist, Researcher, and Writer
567-356-7817
"[W]hen you study history, you must ask yourself, 'Whose story am I missing? Whose voice was suppressed so that this voice could come forth?' Once you have figured that out, you must find that story too."

- Yaa Gyasi, Homegoing