[OPLINLIST] Borrower Policies

Dianne Russell drussell at avonlake.lib.oh.us
Tue Nov 8 14:36:55 EST 2022

REF:
From: Morgan Paul via OPLINLIST <oplinlist at lists.oplin.org>
Date: Tue, Nov 8, 2022 at 1:19 PM
Subject: [OPLINLIST] Borrower Policies

Hi Morgan,

For Avon Lake Public Library,  if a parent cannot (or will not) come in to
sign for their child's account, we'll send the application home for consent
(requires parental signature, printed name and DOB of parent). And we will
issue a card when the application is returned.

Another option we have for those minors without a card (the item is needed
for a school assignment tomorrow scenario) is issuing the minor a LIMITED
card (Limited cards are limited to checking out only 5 physical items at
any one time and no video games or TV Series allowed).  Additionally, we
will try to contact the parent via telephone or email to obtain permission
for the minor to check out the item needed for school tomorrow. Preferably,
we'd contact the parent before allowing the checkout, but if an "emergency"
and the parent cannot be reached, we'll issue the LIMITED account and
follow-up later.  We consider these actions our "due diligence" in
obtaining parental permission.

We used to allow 16 & 17 year old kids to have cards without parental
consent, but recently changed that to better align with our collection
development policy.

Copies of Policies attached.

Dianne Russell

Dianne D. Russell, M.Ed., M.L.I.S.
Circulation Services Manager
Avon Lake Public Library
32649 Electric Blvd.
Avon Lake, Ohio 44012
Direct: 440.933.7477
Voice: 440.933.8128
Fax:  440.933.6406
drussell at alpl.org

*Equality is everyone getting a book. **Diversity is everyone getting a
different kind of book. **Equity is everyone getting a book that works for
them.  Acceptance **is understanding we all read different types of
books. **Belonging
is reading the book you want to read without fear of or judgement from
others. **Books unite us. Censorship divides us.*