[OPLINLIST] OPLIN assistance with branch internet

Don Yarman don at oplin.ohio.gov
Fri Oct 28 10:50:54 EDT 2022

While OPLIN provides library systems with their primary internet
connection, connecting branches has been something libraries have had to do
on their own. We think we've come up with a way to help.

In December, OPLIN plans to release a statewide, competitive bidding
opportunity for broadband vendors to provide library branch circuits. *OPLIN
can't pay for the branch circuits*, but by issuing a statewide RFP through
the E-rate system, we can draw more vendor attention (and hopefully better
pricing) than libraries have seen acting on their own. Libraries could then
request E-rate discounts against the bids that OPLIN receives.

If you're interested, visit https://oplin.ohio.gov/branch470, where you'll
find a simple form. You'll have two options with where your branch
connections go: either back to the main/central library, or directly to the
OPLIN core. Filling out the form does not obligate you to follow through on
a contract.

There's a link from the form page to a 4-minute video explanation
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFqcFqLVTHQ> with a little more detail.
Every situation is a little bit different, though, so we're happy to answer
questions and talk to you about your local scenario. Feel free to reach out
to me directly, or email branch470 at oplin.ohio.gov.

                    Don Yarman (he/him/his)
                    Director, Ohio Public Library Information Network
                    2323 W Fifth Ave Suite 130, Columbus OH 43204
                    don at oplin.ohio.gov | 614.728.5250