[OPLINLIST] Library shelving/alphabetizing

Patty Fonseca pfonseca at champaigncountylibrary.org
Thu Sep 15 12:06:28 EDT 2022

The Champaign County Library is interested in how other libraries are applying traditional filing/shelving rules and what exceptions might be made.

For instance, how are series labeled and organized on the shelves? How do you handle alphabetizing abbreviations, acronyms, numbers, etc.?

We are interested in anything and everything your libraries are doing to organize your collections in ways that make sense to the patrons.  Do you have any shelving cheat sheets, Page manuals, or other guidelines you would be willing to share?

Also, we'd love to hear about any displays, signage, etc that you have implemented to help patrons find what they are looking for.
Thank you!

Patty Fonseca

Champaign County Library

1060 Scioto St