[OPLINLIST] Dyslexia Resource Guide for Ohio families

jdwyer at library.ohio.gov jdwyer at library.ohio.gov
Tue Sep 27 08:31:41 EDT 2022

Posted on behalf of the Ohio Statewide Family Engagement Center. Cross-posted. Please excuse duplication.

Dyslexia is one of the most common learning disabilities. People with dyslexia have many strengths, but have unexpected trouble learning to read. These difficulties are not related to a person's intelligence or motivation. Children with dyslexia can learn to read.

Ohio has new laws about how schools will screen students for signs of dyslexia beginning in the 2023-24 school year, how schools prepare teaching staff to support students with signs of dyslexia in the classroom, and how schools will communicate with families regarding dyslexia screening results and support.

The Ohio Statewide Family Engagement Center at OSU has partnered with the Ohio Department of Education to create the Dyslexia Resource Guide for Ohio Families<https://ohiofamiliesengage.osu.edu/2022/08/24/dyslexiaguide/>, a short guide for families about dyslexia and Ohio's education system. It answers the following key questions:

  *   What is dyslexia?
  *   How prevalent is it?
  *   What are signs that my child might have dyslexia?
  *   How does a child in Ohio get screened for signs of dyslexia?
  *   What will change at school if my child has a dyslexia diagnosis or is suspected of having dyslexia?
  *   My child is struggling - how do I help them at home?
  *   What should I tell my child about dyslexia?
  *   Where can I go to learn more about dyslexia and Ohio Schools?

This new Dyslexia Resource Guide for Ohio Families is available as a webpage and as a downloadable PDF in 6 languages at: go.osu.edu/dyslexiaguide<https://ohiofamiliesengage.osu.edu/2022/08/24/dyslexiaguide/>

Thank you and Happy Fall!

Sincerely,
Meredith

[The Ohio State University]
Meredith Wellman, PhD
Program Manager, Ohio Statewide Family Engagement Center
Center on Education and Training for Employment
College of Education and Human Ecology
1900 Kenny Road, Room 1036, Columbus, OH 43210
614-688-1522 Office
wellman.87 at osu.edu<mailto:wellman.87 at osu.edu> / ohiofamiliesengage.osu.edu<https://ohiofamiliesengage.osu.edu/>

[cid:image002.png at 01D8D249.72638540]

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D8D249.72638540]