[OPLINLIST] NEO-RLS News: DEIA Resource Page, Library Spotlights, One more Notary Training, & More

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Wed Aug 16 11:18:10 EDT 2023

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Newsletter%20Header%20Update.png]

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Membership%20Needs%20Survey%20Slide%20Update.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222896145&mm=80490955965>

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Ragan%20Snead.jfif]

A Note From the
Executive Director

In response to the Membership Survey results, we understand that many members are not fully aware of our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Resources page<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222897367&mm=80490955965>. I wanted to take this opportunity to reintroduce this comprehensive collection of resources, carefully curated and vetted by our DEIA Strategies Committee.

Whether you're seeking guidance on diversity, equity, inclusion, or accessibility, our DEI Resources Page is your one-stop hub for valuable insights, best practices, and practical tools. Empower yourself and your organization by exploring these invaluable resources and take meaningful steps towards fostering an inclusive and equitable environment for all.

We are also always looking to add resources to this page. If you have a resource that you feel may be helpful to our library community, send documents and links to me at ragan.snead at neo-rls.org<mailto:ragan.snead at neo-rls.org>.

Have a great day!

Ragan

Here is What is Planned for October

Recognizing Bias<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222898589&mm=80490955965>

Tuesday, 10/3/2023

Library Boot Camp: Refresh & Reboot: Leveling Up Your Reference Interview & Information Searching Skills<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222899811&mm=80490955965>

Wednesday, 10/4/2023

New Genealogy Networking Meeting<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222901033&mm=80490955965>

Thursday, 10/5/2023

2023 Staff Development Day<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222902255&mm=80490955965>

Monday, 10/9/2023

New Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Accessibility Networking Meeting<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222903477&mm=80490955965>

Tuesday, 10/10/2023

Practical Budget Management: How to Avoid Disaster, Make Smart Moves, Report Responsibly, and Stress Less About your Budget!<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222904699&mm=80490955965>

Wednesday, 10/11/2023

Staying Current & Assisting Library Patrons through Rapid Technological Changes<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222905921&mm=80490955965>

Thursday, 10/12/2023

Day for Public Service-Avon Lake<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222907143&mm=80490955965>

Wednesday, 10/18/2023

Inclusive Decision-Making: Navigating DEI Challenges for Effective Systems Change and Personal Growth<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222908365&mm=80490955965>

Tuesday, 10/24/2023

Youth Services (Children & Teen) Virtual Networking Meeting<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222909587&mm=80490955965>

Tuesday, 10/24/2023

Mark Your Calendar-Wednesday, October 25, 2023
Back to the Book XXII: Bookaverse, Book Discussion, and Books Celebrating the Neurodiverse and LGBTQ+ Communities

Building a Resilient Workforce and a Networking Event for Directors, Deputy Directors, & Admin Teams<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222910809&mm=80490955965>

Thursday, 10/26/2023

Directors/Deputy Directors Virtual Networking Meeting<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222912031&mm=80490955965>

Thursday, 10/26/2023

Mark Your Calendar- Tuesday, October 31, 2023
2023-2024 Leadership Academy

[View Full Calendar]

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/2023%20Staff%20Development%20Day%20slide%20w%20Breakout%20Sessions.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222902255&mm=80490955965>

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Announcements.jpg]

Shine a Spotlight on Your Library!

Share news, program, promotions, and more with the Northeast Ohio library community and beyond. All entries will be shared in our weekly newsletter and on our Library Spotlight page<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222914475&mm=80490955965>. Send articles and pictures to Jeff Laser at jeff.laser at neo-rls.org<mailto:jeff.laser at neo-rls.org>.

Additional Notary Training Registration Open

Notary Training is now scheduled for Thursday, September 14th<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222915697&mm=80490955965> at the North Ridgeville Branch of Lorain Public Library System and Friday, September 15th at the Willowick Library in Lake County.<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222916919&mm=80490955965>

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Updated%20Library%20Spotlight%20Banner%20Logo%20%281200%20%C3%97%20150%20px%29.jpg]

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Louisville%20Public%20Library%20Logo_0_2.png]

Louisville Library Won!

I’m excited to share with all of you that the Louisville Library won our category in the Stark Community Foundation’s “Six for Sixty” challenge.  More than 80,000 votes poured in to the Foundation over the course of the month-long competition.  The Library won the education category.

The Foundation marked the “top three” throughout the competition.  Thanks to your votes, we never fell out of that position.  However,  you never know - two other organizations were also in the “top three.”  After the contest ended, we did not know when the results would be released.  So, I was at lunch on Friday and all of the sudden my phone started ringing off the hook.  The Foundation announced the winner to everyone that had voted and we won!

To the winners go a $10,000 endowment fund to be held at the Stark Community Foundation.  The Library will be able to continue to grow the fund with the Foundation to be used for future projects and funding.  Thank you all for your votes and your support!

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/HFG_Horizontal_4C%20%281%29.jpg]

Community Forestry department has some funding that we're investing into restoring our tree canopy in NE Ohio!

Holden Forests & Gardens (Cleveland Botanical Garden and Holden Arboretum) is looking for community groups who want to plant trees in the Greater Cleveland area! If you or a community partner in Lake, Geauga, or Cuyahoga counties would like to host a small (5-12 trees) planting, please fill out this form<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222918141&mm=80490955965>, paying close attention to the description.  Here is a  flyer <https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222919363&mm=80490955965> to share.

Applications will be accepted on a rolling, first-come-first-serve basis, but must be submitted 6–8 weeks before your planned tree planting event to ensure we can order and get trees to you on time. Apply early; later applications may not receive trees once all funding has been used.

Want to plan an even bigger tree giveaway? Some funding is also available for small tree giveaways of 20-50 trees. Contact communityforestry at holdenfg.org<mailto:communityforestry at holdenfg.org> if your organization wants to source trees for your own tree giveaway.

or your content.

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Did%20You%20Know%20Consulting%20Slide%202023%20Update.jpg]<mailto:ragan.snead at neo-rls.org>

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/State%20Library%20of%20Ohio.jpg]

ReadOhio

Governor DeWine announced the new ReadOhio initiative, a statewide effort to encourage improved literacy skills for all ages, including the implementation of curriculum aligned with the science of reading in k-12 schools. The governor also released a video<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222920585&mm=80490955965> to explain what the science of reading is and why it is important.

ReadOhio provides a toolkit for school leaders whose schools are not already using a curriculum aligned with the science of reading. ReadOhio will also provide:

“Read it Again!” a free digital resource for early childhood educators developed by the Crane Center for Early Childhood Research and Policy at The Ohio State University to help build language skills in infants, toddlers, and pre-K students.

An online resource, available this fall, giving parents and caregivers tips to help our youngest children grow their literacy skills.

A continued focus on expanding the Dolly Parton Imagination Library of Ohio. Currently, over 58% of eligible Ohio kids are participating in the program.

Learn more about ReadOhio: https://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Learning-in-Ohio/Literacy/Read-Ohio<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222921807&mm=80490955965>

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Building%20a%20Resilient%20Workforce%20slide.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222910809&mm=80490955965>

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Account%20White%20Background.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222923029&mm=80490955965>
[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/CE%20White%20Background.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222924251&mm=80490955965>
[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Jobline.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=222925473&mm=80490955965>

[E-Mail]<mailto:ragan.snead at neo-rls.org>