[OPLINLIST] Outreach Services Assistant Manager - Dayton Metro Library

Jennifer Kadel JEly at daytonmetrolibrary.org
Fri Jul 14 16:20:50 EDT 2023

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D9B66F.270B5720]
The Dayton Metro Library is recruiting for a full-time Outreach Services Assistant Manager, which is a brand-new position.  Our Outreach Services department supports three separate services in our community.  We provide the bookmobile at early literacy centers, such as daycares and preschools.  We also have a home library service which entails delivering library items to patrons at home who cannot come to their local library.  The last service we offer is our lobby stops at older adult living facilities.  We provide browsing collections to them in the lobbies of where they live and assist them in checking these items out. The Outreach Services Assistant Manager will drive the bookmobile to community events and in parades.  If you enjoy working out in the community, apply today!

DML is committed to cultivating inclusive environments and a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community. As such, we encourage Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) to apply, in addition to members from other marginalized groups.

Further, we recognize the importance of language diversity on our team as Dayton was the first city in the United States to earn the status of "Certified Welcoming" city. We encourage applications from individuals that are fluent or proficient in any non-English languages commonly used in Montgomery County including Spanish, Mandarin, French, Korean, Vietnamese, Hindi, Urdu, Russian, Tagalog, Kinyarwanda, Arabic, Turkish, Swahili, and American Sign Language (ASL).

Essential Job Duties

*         Assists the Outreach Services Manager with all department activities, including early literacy initiatives for at-risk families, library services to older adults age 55+, people with disabilities, incarcerated patrons, service to other emerging populations, reference, reader's advisory, circulation, and programming.

*         Assists the Outreach Services Manager in the coordination of system-wide library services to specific target populations and participation in public events.

  *   Assists the Outreach Services Manager with selection, training, scheduling and evaluating staff in Outreach Services. Assists with overseeing department volunteers.
  *   Assists the Outreach Services Manager with ensuring the efficient, effective, customer service-oriented delivery of services to Library patrons. Maintains a current knowledge of Library operations, policies, and procedures.  Demonstrates and models excellent internal and external customer service. Provides direct service for both early childhood and older adult activities to ensure outstanding customer service.

*         Assists the Outreach Services Manager in promoting community awareness of the Library, with emphasis on special and at-risk populations. Establishes effective communication with community groups, organizations, and individuals.

  *   Answers patrons' reference questions and assists patrons in selecting and locating materials. Assists patrons in the use of tablets, personal electronic devices, and Library virtual materials.
  *   Assists the Outreach Services Manager to ensure the Outreach motor vehicle fleet is operating properly.  Assists in monitoring Outreach facility needs.  In the absence of the Outreach Services Manager, initiates maintenance and repair of the building, equipment, and grounds in cooperation with the Facilities Manager and the building's owners.

*         Assists the Outreach Services Manager in maintaining safe and careful operation of Outreach motor vehicles for both staff and patrons.  Ensures that all staff are fully trained in vehicle operational and safety procedures.  Establishes clear safety protocols for staff at Outreach locations.

Job Qualifications

*         Valid driver's license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and continuous insurability required.

*         Master's degree in Library and Information Science from an A.L.A. accredited program, minimum of 3 years of experience.  Supervisory experience preferred.

*         Ability to maintain effective relationships with community officials, leaders, organizations, the public, and the staff.

*         Ability to read, analyze, and interpret reference resources, general business periodicals, professional journals, policy and procedure manuals, and governmental regulations.

*         Ability to write reports and business correspondence clearly and informatively.

*         Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from staff, patrons, and members of the community individually and in a group setting.

*         Ability to deal effectively with confrontational individuals and/or challenging situations.

  *   Ability to plan, schedule, and oversee department operations and personnel.
  *   Knowledge of professional library principles, theories, concepts, policies and procedures.  Knowledge and appreciation of literature, periodicals, audiovisual materials, web sites, social media, and other electronic media which constitute a diverse, current, and relevant collection.
  *   Ability to develop programs and services to meet community needs.

Compensation and Benefits:  Salary is negotiable starting at $55,451 annually.  Benefits include health, dental and vision insurance along with paid time off and OPERS retirement.

Application Process:  Please submit a cover letter and resume to Jennifer Kadel at careers at daytonmetrolibrary.org.<mailto:careers at daytonmetrolibrary.org> This position is open until filled.

The Dayton Metro Library is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.

JENNIFER KADEL
(She, Her)
Recruitment and Retention Manager
DaytonMetroLibrary.org<http://www.daytonmetrolibrary.org/>