[OPLINLIST] NEO-RLS News: Guest Note Contributor, Still Time to Register for Summer, & More

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Wed Jun 21 10:52:07 EDT 2023

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Newsletter%20Header%20Update.png]

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/July%204%20Slide.jpg]

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Betsy.jpg]

A Note From a
Guest Contributor

Over the past few years, when it has been almost impossible to go for even a short period of time without hearing reference in the news of an affront to our intellectual freedom and right to access information, I have been especially proud of the fact that libraries and their employees have a well codified Code of Ethics and Bill of Rights helping to guide their actions. With collection development policies under increased scrutiny and demands for specific titles to be removed from the shelves, individual library employees – who have borne the brunt of varying forms of ill will from those determined to limit access - have been able to respond confidently knowing they are adhering to the ALA Code of Ethics.

In Florida, evidence of adherence to the ALA Code of Ethics and Bill of Rights was in full display during a Gainesville community meeting seeking to support the LGBTQ+ community that has come under attack from a variety of anti-LGBTQ+ legislation and rhetoric. The meeting place was full of Gainesville residents, from university faculty, university students, high school teachers, neighbors, attorneys, the elderly and the young. When a student at the University of Florida stood up and asked the person presiding over the meeting, what could be done about the fact that the LGBTQ+ student organization at the university had been told they could no longer meet on university premises, an attendee stood up and identified themselves as a Gainesville Public Library board member and said the group could begin meeting in the library immediately and indefinitely. Our Bill of Rights and Code of Ethics state that libraries make the provision of meeting rooms available to the public they serve and on an equitable basis. The student said the difference this action would make to those in the group was immense. My daughter, who was in attendance at the community meeting, called me to say, “Yay libraries!” and I say “Yay libraries and everyone who works in them and supports them!”

Betsy Lantz

Still Time to Register for the Summer

July

Dealing with Complaints About Library Materials<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212367393&mm=77753794499>

Tuesday, 7/11/2023

Time Management Yours and Theirs<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212368615&mm=77753794499>

Wednesday, 7/12/2023

Accessibility Initiatives at NC State Libraries<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212369837&mm=77753794499>

Thursday, 7/13/2023

Intergenerational Collaboration: In Diversity, We Trust!<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212371059&mm=77753794499>

Wednesday, 7/19/2023

Working with Data in Excel<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212372281&mm=77753794499>

Tuesday, 7/25/2023

Unlocking Digital Inclusion: Exploring Accessibility and Inclusion on Library Websites<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212373503&mm=77753794499>

Wednesday, 7/26/2023

August

Empowering Communities: Social Workers in Libraries<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212374725&mm=77753794499>

Tuesday, 8/1/2023

You’ve Got Mail: Using Reference Mail Services to Reach Justice-Involved Individuals<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212375947&mm=77753794499>

Wednesday, 8/2/2023

Curiosity - The Secret Sauce<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212377169&mm=77753794499>

Tuesday, 8/8/2023

Internal Customer Service: It's More than Just Being Nice!<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212378391&mm=77753794499>

Wednesday, 8/9/2023

Marketing and Graphic Design for Libraries<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212379613&mm=77753794499>

Tuesday, 8/15/2023

Public Relations and Marketing Virtual Networking Meeting<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212380835&mm=77753794499>

Tuesday, 8/15/2023

Working Towards Equity<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212382057&mm=77753794499>

Wednesday, 8/16/2023

MeckTech: Lessons Learned Through Digital Equity Initiatives<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212383279&mm=77753794499>

Thursday, 8/17/2023

Boosting Your Leadership Self Confidence<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212384501&mm=77753794499>

Tuesday, 8/22/2023

Mental Health First Aid<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212385723&mm=77753794499>

Wednesday, 8/23/2023

NEW-Day for Public Service-Warren<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212386945&mm=77753794499>

Thursday, 8/24/2023

[View Full Calendar]

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Safe%20Space%202023%20Slide%20Purple.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212389389&mm=77753794499>

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Announcements.jpg]

Is there a STAR at your Library? There is Still Time to Nominate Them.

Acknowledge the stars in your library by nominating them for the Rising Star<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212390611&mm=77753794499>, Shooting Star<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212391833&mm=77753794499> or Advocacy Award<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212393055&mm=77753794499>. The nomination process is easy and online. Nominations are due by June 30th. Make sure that employees in our region are recognized for their creative and impactful services, programs, and ideas by nominating someone today. Winners will be honored at our annual Membership Meeting.

Where Do You Find a List of the CE Classes You Have Attended?

The classes that you have attended are on your Transcript.  You can find your Transcript when you log into your account.  It is in the lower left of the screen under Dashboard and My Events and then My Transcript.

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Library%20Spotlight%20Logo%20%28860%20%C3%97%2075%20px%29.png]

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/hubbard_logo4.png]

HUBBARD PUBLIC LIBRARY RECEIVES NATIONAL GRANT FOR SMALL AND RURAL LIBRARIES
$10,000 Grant Will Help the Library Work with Students and Residents with Disabilities

HUBBARD PUBLIC LIBRARY has been selected as one of 240 libraries to participate in Libraries Transforming Communities: Accessible Small and Rural Communities, an American Library Association (ALA) initiative that provides community engagement and accessibility resources to small and rural libraries to help them better serve people with disabilities.

The competitive award comes with a $10,000 grant that will help the library assist students and others with neurodiverse learning styles, learning disabilities and/or other special needs. No two individuals with special needs are alike, and this project will focus on use of virtual reality to individualize academic subject offerings as well as training for social interactions, vocational offerings and essential social and life skills.   Click this link <https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212394277&mm=77753794499> to read more.

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Strategies%20for%20Outreach%20to%20Marginalized%20Populations%20Slide.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212395499&mm=77753794499>

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/State%20Library%20of%20Ohio.jpg]

The Young Entrepreneur Institute (YEI) believes all young people can benefit from learning to think like problem solvers and entrepreneurs.

The YEI’s National Pitch Challenge<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212396721&mm=77753794499> is underway. Pitch Challenge is a pitch contest for students throughout the nation in grades K-12. It is a simple set of activities that help kids learn creativity, problem solving, critical thinking, and presentation skills. Pitch Challenge teaches essential workforce readiness skills and helps kids develop a mindset for 21st century careers.

Youth and teams of youth can submit short videos and compete for prizes and recognition. The entry deadline is July 15th.   Librarians and educators can download a free Pitch Challenge Toolkit<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212397943&mm=77753794499> to help you facilitate activities that support your young patrons as they identify a problem they want to solve, develop a solution, and pitch it. You can also download a Pitch flyer<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212399165&mm=77753794499> to promote the opportunity in your library and to share with community partners and directly with kids.

Learn more: https://www.youngentrepreneurinstitute.org/k-12-programs/pitch-challenge-overview/<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212400387&mm=77753794499>

Scholarships are available for northeast Ohio youth to participate in VentureLab's Spark Mentorship Program.<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212401609&mm=77753794499>

This program is for youth ages 8-18 who have a business they want to start. In addition to mentoring, participants receive $500 for materials. The entry deadline for the fall cohort is August 21st.

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Account%20White%20Background.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212402831&mm=77753794499>
[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/CE%20White%20Background.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212404053&mm=77753794499>
[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/c2036c03-dbf6-4270-99c5-7afb8a06e2b9/NEOL/Jobline.jpg]<https://mms.neo-rls.org/ct.php?lid=212405275&mm=77753794499>

[E-Mail]<mailto:ragan.snead at neo-rls.org>