[OPLINTECH] Community Library now running VMware ESXi

JKENZIG JKENZIG at cuyahogalibrary.org
Fri May 28 11:57:55 EDT 2010

I've been involved and on the cusp of this Virtualization hoopla now for
over 15 years.  If you are old enough to remember VMS it to had virtual
disks and memory much of what VMware is based on now.

The industry has come a long way. Sort of. Virtual machines run on what
is called a Hypervisor software layer  on the server. The hypervisor
software could be linux, unix, windows, or some other special code. Its
purpose is to allow multiple virtual servers to run on one single
server.

Now they are offering hardware hypervisors on the servers to run virtual
machines.  Very soon and actually going on now you will see something
called a Client Hypervisor. Basically you will be able to select
different virtual environments and run them on your local computer which
will have a hypervisor on them.  Citrix just announced the release of
XenClient (free to test out if you have a computer capable of running
it) (check out http://www.citrix.com/xenclient ) Vendors are already
commiting to add it to the bios of their machines.

There are so many virtualization solutions and hypervisors out there it
is getting mind boggling.  Microsoft has Hyper-V, Citrix has Xen,
VMWare, etc.

The decision as to which to go with,  in my mind, is a cost, versus
need, versus ability to comprehend, versus compatibility with your
current environment.

We went with VMWare about 8 years ago because it was the most robust,
feature packs and trusted in the industry. Time has changed all that.
Now with everyone pushing the cloud there are going to be virtual,
virtual servers virtually everywhere!  It won't matter where your apps
come from, as long as they work and run for you.

All you will need is a dumb terminal  that can connect to the
network/internet.  Just like in the days of the VMS Vax..  Everything
old is new again, the 70's/80's are back.  The names may change and the
products may get more convoluted but they are basically doing the same
thing they have been for a very long time and that is using one server
to run multiple server hardware/OS virtually off its  disk array. Now
imagine that at the client level and that is where the paradigm starts
to shift and differ.

Regards,

Jim Kenzig

Software Applications Engineer