[OPLINTECH] clever children...

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Wed Feb 22 17:33:05 EST 2012

Process Explorer is a very, very useful tool that has been around and in
continual development for a long time. Microsoft acquired the company
and the lead developer several years ago. It definitely worth keeping in
your arsenal.

I'm not familiar with the workings of pcreservation, but if the program
that the patrons are killing is a Windows Service, you might be able to
find the service and, in the Recovery tab, set the service to
auto-restart after failure. That may or may not restart the service in
your particular case, where the user is terminating the service
intentionally (not a failure, per se), but it would help if the service
just spontaneously crashed on its own.

Also in the service's General tab, you may find the exact command used
to launch the service. You might be able to schedule a task to restart
the service upon event of it's termination. Windows 7 (if you're using
it) has enhanced task scheduling capabilities. You'd need to explore the
execute on event trigger to see if you could trigger the task upon
termination of your particular program/service.

Those thoughts are what popped into my head first.

HTH,

/Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools/