[OPLINTECH] New Computers with Optical Drives

Chad Neeper via OPLINTECH oplintech at lists.oplin.org
Wed Jun 14 12:16:23 EDT 2017

I stopped including them a few years ago. Just keep a couple of external
USB DVD-ROM drives at the circ/reference desk for the occasional one-offs
that needs one. An external DVD-ROM drive might cost you in the vicinity of
$50, but the cost of an internal DVD-ROM might cost in the vicinity of $25.
So after dis-including the internal drives on two or three computers per
external USB drive you buy, you'll start saving money.

They rarely get used in my libraries. I think the staff actually use them
more than the patrons...which isn't really saying much. Had one library
lose a USB drive and didn't know it for many months...nobody asked for it!

I'm working with mostly single branch, smaller libraries. YMMV.

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*