[OPLINTECH] PDF Editor Software for Public PCs

Joe Dusenbery joe at muskingumlibrary.org
Tue Nov 30 09:40:08 EST 2021

Good Morning OPLIN Tech,

We are looking into options for PDF editor software on our public computers
next year and I was hoping to get some feedback from other libraries. Do
any libraries out there have any sort of PDF editor software on their
public PCs? If so... What are you using? How do you like it and what don't
you like? To save money, did you choose to install the software on a few
computers instead of ALL of your public computers? Any insight you can
provide would be greatly appreciated.

I know that there are plenty of 3rd party solutions, even some that are
free. I always tread lightly with free software, wondering if they will
just cause headaches or worse. I know that newer versions of MS Word can
edit PDF files but formatting always seems to get pretty messed up. Adobe
Acrobat software would obviously be best but I have not been able to figure
out licensing that would work for shared public computers. Tech Soup has
some discounted licenses but they are tied to individual *users* so they
will not work for shared PCs. Similarly, licensing on Adobe's own website
all looks to be tied to a user instead of a computer. As a public library,
I don't know if we qualify for education licensing which is the only place
I have found *device* licenses versus user licenses.

Thanks,
Joe

Joseph R. Dusenbery, MISST
IT Director