[OPLINTECH] How to restrict public color printing

Phil Shirley pshirley at cuyahogafallslibrary.org
Wed Jun 1 13:32:00 EDT 2022

We just switched software for managing public computer sign-ins and public computer printing from Cassie (Librarica) to MyPC and the PaperCut-based printing solution from TBS.

We charge differently for color vs. black printouts. TBS deals with this by having different printers listed on the workstations (black and color), each with a different price. The problem is that patrons can choose the black and white printer and then change the printer properties to print in color. The software charges for black when this happens.

TBS staff say we need to use a driver that doesn't support color. They found one for our HP printer, but not for our Toshiba copier, which we also print to.

I called Toshiba support twice and both times they told me they don't have a black-only driver. Toshiba told me I could use a department code to regulate color printing, but this doesn't work with the coin-op public copying that we do on this copier. They also told me their drivers were open-source and we could modify them, but I don't think that's feasible.

I've seen references to using standard Windows tools to set permission so that the user can't change the color setting on the printer (one of the Toshiba techs also mentioned that but he didn't know how); I haven't found any details on how to do this. Maybe it's a group policy setting.

Can anyone give me any help on this?

By the way, Cassie can handle this situation. We had one printer set up, and the software would sense if the patron went into settings and changed to color and would charge them accordingly.

Thanks.

Phil

Phil Shirley
IT Manager
Cuyahoga Falls Library
p. 330.928.2117 x109 e. pshirley at cuyahogafallslibrary.org<mailto:pshirley at cuyahogafallslibrary.org>
w. cuyahogafallslibrary.org<http://www.cuyahogafallslibrary.org/> a. 2015 Third Street, Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44221
[cid:image002.png at 01D875BB.F7EB0B60]<https://www.facebook.com/fallslibrary/>   [cid:image004.png at 01D875BB.F7EB0B60] <https://twitter.com/FallsLibrary>    [cid:image006.png at 01D875BB.F7EB0B60] <https://www.instagram.com/fallslibrary/>