[OPLINTECH] Help with Cisco Umbrella

Amy Deuble adeuble at marionlibrary.org
Wed Aug 9 11:26:01 EDT 2023

I recently discovered our Cisco Umbrella filter wasn't working. Our network showed as inactive on the Cisco Umbrella interface. When I checked our DNS server the forwarders had google IPs along with the Umbrella IPs. That was resolved and our network now shows as active on Cisco Umbrella. We are being protected for malware, phishing, etc., but not for adult sites. There is a policy in place, but for some reason it isn't working when we go through our DNS server. If I put the Umbrella IPs directly in my desktop, it works. We recently installed a new firewall, a FortiGate 80F, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Our IT consultant added the Umbrella IPs to the firewall's DNS settings, but it still won't work.

Any suggestions?

Amy Deuble
Marion Public Library
Marion, Ohio