[OPLINTECH] Good workhorse moderate-volume laser printer models?

Nathan Eady oplintech at galionlibrary.net
Mon Dec 4 13:27:49 EST 2023

We're looking for a recommendation.  This would be for a model of
(monochrome) laser printer to deploy as mainly a patron-internet printer
(though staff would also print to it sometimes).  We'd be looking for
something reliable that doesn't need a lot of maintenance, so I'm
wondering if there are libraries out there that have had one for two or
three years that has been a good workhorse for you.  These days we print
maybe 20-50 pages a day.  (It used to be more, but that was pre-COVID.)

We've got one Dell 5830dn (on the other floor of the building) that has
been fabulous, and I thought about just getting another of the same, but
that model hasn't been manufactured for a while (apparently Dell got out
of the printer business entirely in 2018), so if we did buy one, it
would be a few years old already.  I'd like to get something more recent
(ideally, something that is still being made).  I'm looking for
something in a similar quality level and price range (to the 5830dn),
something that isn't going to need us to clean out a lot of paper jams,
break down after a couple of years, or otherwise give us trouble.
Something better than (at least most of) the cheap SOHO models.

The only paper I really need this to be able to print on, is standard
letter size, and it doesn't need to do color.

Recommendations?

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library