[OPLINTECH] SMTP Checker

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Mon Feb 6 11:50:19 EST 2023

Mindy,

Personally, I don't have any packaged SMTP checker *tools* that I use.
(Never actually thought to look for one, actually.) I suppose a tool could
be more robust and test different ports and conditions and could provide
information in an easy-to-understand way. But the handful of times I've
needed to do something like that, I just open a telnet session to the SMTP
server and test it that way. It's been a long time since I last did it, so
I did a quick google for the process. One of the first hits I found came
right from Microsoft:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/mail-flow/test-smtp-telnet?view=exchserver-2019

The article makes things look a little daunting, but it's usually trivial
to open a telnet session and once you have the session open, the core steps
for communicating with the SMTP server are clearly shown:  OPEN, EHLO (not
a type-o), MAIL FROM, RCPT TO, DATA,...

Regarding the firewall, are you trying to do *outbound* filtering (*from*
LAN *to* internet)? That may not necessarily be a bad thing from a network
security perspective, but can be very difficult to balance network security
vs usability.

HTH and good luck,

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in public libraries*