[OPLINTECH] Emailing Inactive Patrons

Sam Lewis slewis at worthingtonlibraries.org
Mon Feb 20 15:48:12 EST 2023

Hi all,

I thought I would pick the brains of the community. We would like to send an e-mail blast to all of our inactive patrons to remind them of our services to see if they'd like to become active again before their accounts are purged. There are thousands of them, and I know that one does not simply email thousands of addresses lightly. Our transactional e-mail provider Postmark (used for hold, renewal, overdue, etc. notices) has advised that this sort of thing would be against their Terms of Service - they are purely meant for our usual use. So I was wondering if anyone here has faced this issue, and ideally solved it or has solid documentation (laws?) proving that it simply cannot be done.

They haven't really specifically subscribed to get notices like this, but we're not advertising a commercial service (or any paid sale or solicitation of funds), so I'm torn on whether CAN-SPAM<https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidance/resources/can-spam-act-compliance-guide-business> (or something else) prevents us from doing this legally. And then, beyond that, technically what service would provide this - I know that Outlook would not take kindly to tens of thousands of recipients, our transactional provider won't do it per their ToS, and they haven't signed up for our newsletter so that service would not suffice.

Thanks in advance,

Sam Lewis
Systems Administrator
www.worthingtonlibraries.org<http://www.worthingtonlibraries.org/>
Worthington Libraries | 820 High Street | Worthington, Ohio 43085
P: 614.807.2619 | F: 614.807.2629
[cid:image001.png at 01D52683.A0BA1AA0]