[OPLINTECH] Opinion: Executive Order 2023-03D (1/8/23)

Don Yarman don at oplin.ohio.gov
Fri Jan 20 11:23:33 EST 2023

On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 9:24 AM Kevin Puffer via OPLINTECH
<oplintech at lists.oplin.org> wrote:

> Both Don Yarman, executive director of OPLIN, and the Ohio Library Council (OLC) have publicly expressed their opinion that Public Libraries in Ohio are exempt from compliance with Executive Order 2023-03D (1/8/23).

When I say (accurately) that the Executive Order applies to state
agencies only, and that libraries are not state agencies but
subdivisions of local government, I am not offering an opinion of
whether libraries should or should not follow the directives the
Governor has set for state agencies. Internet content access policies
are the responsibility of the local library board.

If a library board decides to block access to any internet
destination, libraries can use mechanisms of their choice, including
Cisco Umbrella, which OPLIN provides for any public library that wants
it. Email OPLIN Support for more information.

                    Don Yarman (he/him/his)
                    Director, Ohio Public Library Information Network
                    2323 W Fifth Ave Suite 130, Columbus OH 43204
                    don at oplin.ohio.gov | 614.728.5250

Of course, both are far more qualified to answer the question of
compulsory compliance than I am.  Here is my personal and professional
opinion as to why I believe it is prudent to heed, and voluntarily
comply with the order.