[OPLINTECH] Pfsense 2.7

Ron Woods woodsro at stclibrary.org
Mon Jun 26 15:40:12 EDT 2023

Hi,

Are any other libraries out there using Pfsense? We have been using it here in STC for many years, it is a very solid extensible open source firewall system.

The newest version 2.7 is getting ready to drop here in a few weeks.

https://www.netgate.com/blog/pfsense-rc-2.7.0-and-23.05.1

https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/releases/2-7-0.html

It is a pretty big upgrade from previous versions. on the backend they have overhauled the entire FreeBSD base from version 12 to 14, and they also had to make quite a few compatibility changes moving from PP 7.4.x to 8.2.6. As I had been following the Redmine very closely over the last year.

https://redmine.pfsense.org/versions/70

If anyone else out there is using it, what are your upgrade plans come post June 29th? I have a set of identical hardware to my production box that I plan to convert my existing configuration to the new 2.7, and then i will create a backup box based on 2.6 with my current set up before i upgrade my production box. If anyone has any suggestions or things they are going to do, i'd appreciate it if you would post.

Thanks!

Sincerely

Ron Woods
Computer Services Manager