[OPLINTECH] Important: Do Not Pay for SAM registration/renewal

Don Yarman don at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Feb 7 07:33:04 EST 2024

This morning I received an email warning that OPLIN's SAM registration is
expiring. SAM is the federal "System for Award Management," a requirement
for receiving federal funds. Many libraries have registered with SAM to
receive refunds from the Emergency Connectivity Fund or LSTA grants from
the State Library.

The renewal link took me a page with options for payment:

[image: Screen capture from website showing payment options for SAM renewal]

Luckily, this wasn't a phishing scam because I clicked on the link without
thinking. (I really should not even open my email before I've had coffee.)

But it is a quasi-legal scam. *You do not have to pay for SAM registration
or renewal.* Yes, it's a tedious process, but it's free. If you need help,
please reach out to OPLIN or the State Library.

                    Don Yarman (he/him/his)
                    Director, Ohio Public Library Information Network
                    2323 W Fifth Ave Suite 130, Columbus OH 43204
                    don at oplin.ohio.gov | 614.728.5250