[OPLINTECH] MetroNet Copyright Infringement notices

Robin Bombin rbombin at tmcpl.org
Mon May 13 09:17:22 EDT 2024

Hello,

We use MetroNet service for our Maker Lab, and recently received 8 "Notice of Copyright Infringement" emails from them. The bad actor used our public Wi-Fi and, most likely, sat in their vehicle outside the building, using their personal laptop. It appears as if the person downloaded the illegal videos from a public webserver. When I contacted MetroNet, I was told the service will be terminated after we receive 20 "Notice of Copyright Infringement" email notifications and they have no control over it.

Has anyone else had this issue with MetroNet? If so, how did you handle it?

What does everyone else do to prevent copyright infringement?

Thank you for your assistance,
Robin

Robin Bombin
IT Manager | Troy-Miami County Public Library
Office: 510 W. Water St., Suite 210, Troy, OH 45373
Phone: 937.339.0502 x 111