[oplinwebkits] A reminder about absolute vs. relative URLs

Laura Solomon laura at oplin.ohio.gov
Tue Oct 17 14:08:08 EDT 2017

Hi all,

Since we have implemented a SSL certificate for most of the Website Kits
(meaning that your sites now use https; and, if yours isn't operating yet,
it will be in the very near future!), we thought it would be a good
reminder of best practices when creating links on your sites.

Let's say that a library has an "About Us" section, and the URL is:
https://www.examplelibrary.org/about

When you are creating a link to this, since it is an internal link, do
*not* use
the whole (absolute) link. Your site is pretty smart, and can extrapolate
the protocol (https) and the domain (www.examplelibrary.org). It doesn't
even want the forward slash before "about!"

The correct link to use:
*about*

That's a *relative link* and, yep, it's really that short!

If you have a page with a URL of:
https://www.examplelibrary.org/content/baby-storytime

The correct, relative URL would be:
*content/baby-storytime*

*Hope this helps!*

*Laura*
--
*Laura Solomon, MCIW, MLS*
*Library Services Manager,* Ohio Public Library Information Network (OPLIN)