[oplinwebkits] VERY IMPORTANT: Changes to Google Analytics

Laura Solomon laura at oplin.ohio.gov
Tue Apr 26 10:53:28 EDT 2022

Many of you have likely already received direct emails from Google
Analytics, describing the forthcoming change to how it operates and how
Universal Analytics will be going away
<https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/11583528?hl=en#:~:text=Google%20Analytics%204%20is%20our,Google%20Analytics%204%20going%20forward.>.
*This will impact ALL of OPLIN's Website Kit clients.  *

   - *Google Analytics and Universal Analytics are NOT the same!* UA is the
   method by which Google Analytics has been collecting statistics.
   - The switchover is not being enforced until *July 1, 2023.* That gives
   us all some time to manage this change.
   - In the past, we've asked for the tracking code for your site that
   begins with "UA-." That is *going to be replaced with a NEW tracking
   code* that begins with "G-". *You will need to send that to OPLIN.  *
   - Once OPLIN has that new code, we'll update the module that handles
   Google Analtyics and plug that in there.
   - When you create the new code, stats will begin collecting under that
   new code. The original stats will still be available in Google Analytics,
   under the old "GA-" code. I don't know if Google has plans to combine the
   two sets of stats at any point or not, but be aware they are separate now.

*I am attaching instructions for getting the new GA4 code.* If you have
questions, I'll do my best. Thanks in advance,

Laura
--
*Laura Solomon,  MCIW, MLS *(She/her)
*Library Services Manager,* Ohio Public Library Information Network (OPLIN)