[oplinwebkits] New social media network: Threads

Laura Solomon laura at oplin.ohio.gov
Mon Jul 10 13:59:20 EDT 2023

Hello all,

If you aren't aware, late last week a new social media platform was
launched by Meta. Here's some things to keep in mind:

   - *This network was launched with the intent to be a Twitter
   replacement, but is somewhat still rough around the edges.* Meta
   acknowledges this and, generally speaking, most people are fine with things
   not being polished, simply because it's a large-scale escape hatch from the
   mess Twitter has sadly become. As of this weekend, Threads already has more
   than 100 million users.
   - *Threads is directly, and only, tied to Instagram.* If your library
   does not already have an Instagram account (it should, if only to claim the
   namespace!), OPLIN recommends that you get yours ASAP, even if you aren't
   planning to post to it. Without an Insta account, you cannot sign up for
   Threads. (Again, please claim your library's namespace, even if you don't
   have current plans to post to it.).
   - It's likely that this new network will cause some *shuffling of social
   media icons on your library's site*.
      - If your library is no longer planning to post to Twitter, please
      let us know so we can remove that icon. Also, we recommend posting
      something to your library's Twitter bio, to let people know that the
      account is no longer active.
      - If you have a new Threads account, please send me (directly, not to
      the listserv) the URL of your new account.

*Please don't hesitate to email me (laura at oplin.ohio.gov
<laura at oplin.ohio.gov>) with changes and/or questions. Thanks,*

Laura
--
*Laura Solomon,  MCIW, MLS *(She/her)
*Library Services Manager,* Ohio Public Library Information Network (OPLIN)