[SEO-Members] Sanborn Maps- Niche Academy Featured Tutorial

mwyscarver at library.ohio.gov mwyscarver at library.ohio.gov
Mon Jul 12 17:26:16 EDT 2021

Hi everyone,
Are you interested in the history of your town or city? Doing genealogy research? Or are you a "Cartophile" like me?
You may want to explore the Sanborn Maps database and the tutorial we have for it in Niche Academy.

[cid:ab73ea17-cb96-4334-bdee-cced32b4a1eb]
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps were made to help insurance companies assess liability in cities and town across the United States. The maps include building locations, building materials, business information, etc. Today, they could be considered treasure maps. The example below is a snip from an 1885 map of Caldwell Ohio. It shows a portion of the block between Cumberland and East Streets. In the middle left you can see the barber shop. Guess what?! It's STILL a barber shop! And I love how they noted the pig pen in the upper right.

[cid:4aaf4add-3f04-4f5b-8fec-927c7dcc2b2f]

You can access Sanborn Maps via the Discover More link in the online catalog.

[cid:cbed9d94-04f5-4b4d-91d3-7976a5862b55]
To view the tutorial, click the Catalog Help button on the right side of your catalog screen and select the Sanborn Maps tutorial.

[cid:8190baf7-3ca2-47eb-8632-775699bc78a3]

Enjoy your treasure hunt! Let me know what interesting things you find!
Misty

Misty Wyscarver

Trainer

SEO Service Center