[SEO-Members] 3-D printer recommendations needed

Steve Brindza mspl.librarydirector at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 14:49:15 EDT 2021

Hello, Lynn,

We've been gifted a tiny Monoprice IIIP 3Dprinter, which sells on amazon.com
and other sites for less than $200.  It is as bare-bones as you likely can
get, but it works and is very simple to set up.

It comes with two popular software programs on its SD card, Repetier-Host
and Cusa.  The Cusa software allows .obj and .stl files (available freely on
the web) to be converted to the specific .gcode files that you print from.

The other recommended software is called Pronterface, which is downloadable
freeware, and it lets you initiate printing from a PC rather than solely
from the 3D printer's SD card.

The machine actually works quite well and is about 50% larger than your
average toaster.

PLA type of filament is recommended, largely due no fumes emission, and it
may be the only supply you'll need.

I've got the machine on my office desk, and I am looking for a local student
to assist in putting together a plan to engage young STEM learners in
getting hands-on 3D printer use.

If I can learn this new tech at 57, anyone can.

Steve Brindza, Director

Mt. Sterling Public Library