[SEO-Members] EXTERNAL: Re: [OPLINTECH] Online gaming

Nathan Nguyen nnguyen at ghpl.org
Wed Nov 16 13:01:30 EST 2022

We use steam here with kind of meh results.  Mostly kids just want to play Roblox and Minecraft.
We are using Dell with low-power discrete graphics cards but if you are only doing Roblox/Minecraft you probably wouldn't need a card if you get new computers.
Each computer needs its own account for Steam / Minecraft.  For Roblox, the kids all have accounts so they use their own.

One of the big issues we had/have is having a policy on what kind of games the kids can play, either browser-based or on Roblox.   We don't allow realistic violence so the staff kind of has to police that day-to-day.  Also the kids can get into it when playing and sometimes the trash talk gets a little much.

The big issue we had during setup was finding a vendor to work with to get steam games / Minecraft licenses that will sell multiple copies, do tax-exempt, and give a W-9 form.  We ended up going with CDWG.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have

n8

Nathan Nguyen
Pronouns: he/him/his

Grandview Heights Public Library