[SOA] ACTION ALERT: HR 6056: Preserving the American Historical Record Bill

Jelain Chubb jchubb at ohiohistory.org
Fri May 16 09:40:34 EDT 2008

SOA members:

PAHR is now a bill!!!

Please take action!  Several members of the Ohio delegation ARE showing
interest in PAHR, especially Bob Latta in the 5th district. Your calls
and faxes, along with those of local government officials are having an
impact, so keep them coming. And ask your co-workers, patrons, family
and friends to make a call as well.

Thanks,
Jelain Chubb
State Archivist

UPDATE:

The Preserving the American Historical Record bill was introduced into
the House on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 by Congressmen Maurice Hinchey
(D-NY) and Chris Cannon (R-UT).   It has an official bill number, H.R.
6056.  The bill has been referred to the Committee on Oversight and
Government Reform.

Co-sponsors for the bill are:  Sanford Bishop (GA), Joseph Crowley
(NY), Eliot Engel (NY), Steve Israel (NY), Carolyn Maloney, (NY), Jim
McDermott (WA), James McGovern MA), John McHugh (NY), Jerrold Nadler,
(NY), Edolphus Towns, (NY).   This is a very good number for original
sponsors, but more can be added, and more are needed for future
consideration.

Please contact your members of Congress now and urge them to sign on as
sponsors.  Some members wait until there is a bill number, which they
consider an indication of real commitment to the effort.  We do not have
much longer to enlist co-sponsors, and it is critical that we have a
strong list to get this bill through.   As before, those interested in
sponsoring should contact either:
Anne Georges in Rep. Hinchey's office at 5-6335 or
anne.georges at mail.house.gov or Matt Iandoli in Rep. Cannon's office
at 5-7751 or matt.iandoli at mail.house.gov .

This is an important "giant step" for our efforts to bring much
needed, and very much deserved resources to the archival community in
the United States.  Please take time to contact your members of
Congress, and involve your colleagues and constituents in doing the
same.  Information and support materials are available on the web at:
www.archivists.org/pahr

We need your help-please lend your voice and your energy to this
effort!

Contact us at:  PAHR Joint Task Force    pahr at statearchivists.org
Council of State Archivists:  Kathleen Roe, David Carmicheal, Karl
Niederer
Society of American Archivists:  Ben Primer, Steven Hensen
National Association of Government Archives and Records Administrators:
 Tracey Berezansky, Jelain Chubb