[SOA] New Bremen Seeking Archives Workshop

Jacky Johnson johnson.jacky324 at gmail.com
Thu May 6 15:04:14 EDT 2010

Hi all, This is Jacky Johnson from the SOA Education Committee.  This is my
first submission to the Archives List so please forgive any mistakes!

There is a Archives group in New Bremen, Ohio (east of Lancaster) that is
planning to start a Archives for their area.  They would like to work with a
professional archivist who could possibly offer a workshop to the
organizers.  They have sent me a list of topics they would like someone to
cover. I have listed the itmes below under the heading Archives 101.  The
group is willing to pay a honorarium for the class/workshop. They are
wanting one day if possible but that would be negoiated. If you are
intestested Please contact Terry Borah at terryborah at juno.com or

Andy Verhoff, Local History Coordinator
Local History Office
Ohio Historical Society
1982 Velma Ave., Columbus, OH 43211
614.297.2341  Toll-free:  800.858.6878

Thanks!

Peace,
Jacky

Archiving 101 class are:

   1. Identifying, classifying objects
   2. Methods of temporary and permanent tagging of different types of
   objects
   3. suggestions for search items in Past Perfect
   4. Any tips on uses of Past Perfect program
   5. Suggestions for archiving periodicals and newspapers
   6. Methods of storing and storage
   7. Use and source of acid free storage materials
   8. Sorting of items for future educational use for school children
   9. Further define items that go into the 4 categories of Past Perfect
   program: photos, objects, archives, library
   10. Use of lexicons and classifications to properly identify items