[SOA] New Ohio Historical Society Exhibition

Angela O'Neal aoneal at ohiohistory.org
Sun Mar 6 13:00:37 EST 2011

Dear SOA Members,

I wanted to give you information about a new exhibition that will be
opening at the Ohio Historical Center on April 1st. Official
announcements of the exhibition will go out to the media and the public
on Tuesday, March 8th, so we are asking that you not share this
information widely until that time.

The real stuff of history is not contained in textbooks, but in the
communities and in the lives of the real Ohioans. At the Ohio Historical
Society we are opening a new exhibit, Controversy: Objects You Normally
Don't See, that presents some of the real stuff of Ohio history. We will
be exhibiting objects that if discussed, often are discussed in
whispered tones. The objects are: the electric chair from the old Ohio
Penitentiary, a Ku Klux Klan robe and hood, a sheepskin condom, a
"crib-bed" human cage used to restrain adult patients at a state mental
institution, and a thumb mitt once used to prevent children from sucking
their thumbs.

Controversy: Pieces You Don't Normally See will be in an exhibition
gallery that is separated from the main gallery space. The exhibit will
be open from April 1 - November 20, 2011. It is open to adults 18+ or
those accompanied by an adult. There is a Special Admission fee of $5
that is in addition to the General Admission fee, for members and the
general public.

You may be asking why would we choose to display these objects? In
reality, these are all elements in Ohio's history. As we know, history
can be complex, controversial and messy. It's important to find a safe
space to explore controversial subjects. We think this is one of the
attributes of this exhibit, to generate conversations about difficult
issues in Ohio's history. Discussion groups at the Ohio Historical
Society will be a part of the community-based elements of this exhibit.

In addition, this exhibit is innovative for the Ohio Historical Society
in that it embraces two important emerging trends in the museum world.
These are:

		1) A move toward a more participatory dialog between the
museum and the visitors. In this exhibit we are encouraging the visitors
to bring their thoughts and voices to the museum. We are embracing a
diverse broad-based community by thinking outside the box in how we
operate. Hopefully this will expand the general awareness about the
relevance of history, and specifically about the resources available for
all visitors at your Ohio Historical Society.

		2) Minimal interpretation of the objects. Studies show
that layers of content serve to desensitize the visitor. So for this
exhibit, the Ohio Historical Society felt it was important to allow
these objects to stand on their own.

We recognize that these objects may stir strong reactions in some of
your communities, with your colleagues, or with you and your family.
History is not just a part of the past, it is alive and it influences
our lives today. So our intent is not to cause distress but to allow the
power of historical objects to create meaningful discussions which are
vital to a free and democratic society.

If you have questions or concerns about the exhibit we encourage you to
first visit the exhibit. Additionally, we want to respond to your
concerns so please call or email me or Sharon Dean, Director of Museum
and Library Services at sedan at ohiohistory.org or (614) 297-2501.

Angela

Angela O'Neal
Director, Collections Services
Ohio Historical Society
(614) 297-2576
www.ohiohistory.org

OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY   Connect with the past. Create a better future.