[SOA] Ohio County Courthouses Symposium to be Held in Columbus May 15 and 16

Carleton, Janet carleton at ohio.edu
Thu May 1 12:10:14 EDT 2014

Ohio County Courthouses Symposium to be Held in Columbus May 15 and 16
Chief Justice O'Connor to Give Remarks at Opening Reception
(COLUMBUS, OHIO)
-
The Ohio Historical Society, County Commissioners Association of Ohio (CCAO), Heritage Ohio, the Supreme Court of Ohio, and both the Ohio and Columbus Chapters of the American Institute of Architects will host a symposium on Ohio County courthouses on May 15 and 16 at the Columbus Athenaeum. The symposium will address the value of historic courthouses and how to overcome the challenges of funding and maintaining county courthouses in the 21st century.

"Sixty-nine of Ohio's county courthouses are listed on the National Register of Historic Places and many others
hold historical significance in their communities," said Suzanne Dulaney, executive director of the County Commissioners Association of Ohio.

"The symposium will celebrate the economic and symbolic community value of our historic courthouses and address ways to overcome the challenges of funding and maintaining them into the future."

The symposium will open on Thursday, May 15 at 5 p.m., with a reception featuring Ohio Supreme Court Chief Justice Maureen O'Connor and a special sneak preview of "Justice Finds a Home," a documentary that will air later this year on public television.

Topics covered on Friday, May 16 include courthouse renovation and preservation; addressing technology needs in historic buildings; administering a successful courthouse project; funding a renovation/preservation effort; and the economic value of courthouses.

"These beautiful courthouses are more than buildings. They are our heritage, and they symbolize our commitment to democratic government and the rule of law," said Chief Justice Maureen O'Connor. "I am very happy that the Ohio Supreme Court was asked to support this important event."

A detailed schedule and registration information can be found online, http://www.ccao.org/ohio

###
About the Ohio Historical Society
Established in 1885, the Ohio Historical Society is a nonprofit organization that serves as the state's partner in preserving and interpreting Ohio's history, archaeology, natural history and architecture. For more information about programs and events, call 614.297.2300/800.686.6124 or go online at www.ohiohistory.org

OHIO University Libraries

Janet Carleton | Digital Initiatives Coordinator | Alden 322 | 1 Ohio University | Athens, Ohio | 740.597.2527 | carleton at ohio.edu | http://media.library.ohiou.edu | http://twitter.com/jcarletonoh | http://twitter.com/AldenLibDigital | http://ohiou-digital-collections.tumblr.com/ | http://pinterest.com/OhioDigiArchive/

The best student-centered learning experience in America