[SOA] Digitizing community collections survey

Angela Oneal aoneal at columbuslibrary.org
Fri May 9 13:47:06 EDT 2014

In preparation for our session at the SOA Spring meeting, we would like to hear your thoughts on how your institution does or does not work with individuals to digitize collections. The survey will only take about 5-10 minutes. See:  https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/P8X3LDJ   Please complete the survey by noon on Wednesday, May 14th. Thank you!

Below is a description of our talk. We hope to see you there!

Digitizing Small Institutional and Community Colllections; or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Scannabago
Presenters:  Aaron O'Donovan and Angela O'Neal, Columbus Metropolitan Library

Columbus Memory is a collaborative project between the Columbus Metropolitan Library and the Columbus Historical Society providing access to thousands of images, primary documents, maps, and artifacts about Columbus, Ohio.  Aaron O'Donovan and Angela O'Neal will discuss the Columbus Memory Project and the opportunities to help smaller institutions and community members digitize their collections both in house and "on the road."  Panelists will discuss the caveats of creating these partnerships and the work that it entails.  Topics to be described include:  selection, criteria, metadata requirements, technical specifications, and outreach efforts to individuals and organizations.  Panelists will also explain how to say "no" to certain items, and the operation of a "Digitization Road Show."   Participants will have the opportunity to discuss real work examples of possible items for digitization.

Angela O'Neal │ Manager
Columbus Metropolitan Library │ Genealogy, History & Travel
96 S. Grant Ave. │ Columbus, OH 43215

614.849.1243 office │ 614.314.7890 cell
aoneal at columbuslibrary.org<mailto:aoneal at columbuslibrary.org>

Ask me about CML's Reading Buddies!<http://www.columbuslibrary.org/services/third_grade_reading?utm_source=email&utm_medium=media&utm_campaign=thirdgradereading>