[SOA] Ohio orphanage records

Christine Engels via OHIOARCHIVISTS ohioarchivists at lists.oplin.org
Thu Apr 27 10:40:56 EDT 2017

Hello all. I am currently going through all of our orphanage records to update restrictions. We've just finished processing a collection of records from a Catholic orphanage here in Cincinnati. This orphanage was run by the Sisters of Notre Dame and was never under the archdiocese so it's a bit of an outlier and our only collection from a Catholic institution. The orphanage did not restrict anything when they donated the collection but we placed a restriction on the children's files due to the very personal nature of more recent orphans' information. My predecessor chose to follow the US census schedule of 70 years so right now we're at everything after 1947 being closed to anyone except the former orphan themselves.

I'm curious to know what other archives are doing with their records. All of the orphanages that we have records for were privately run so I'm not sure what if any laws apply to them. I've made myself cross-eyed reading through Ohio Revised Codes without really getting a clear understanding. If anyone can help me here I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Christine

Christine Schmid Engels
Cincinnati Museum Center
Archives Manager
Manuscripts Dept.
cengels at cincymuseum.org
office (513) 287-7066
cincymuseum.org
Find us on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/cincymuseum> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/cincymuseum> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/cincymuseum/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR6cRKVWUeBlVfe6sti1rlQ>

Union Terminal
1301 Western Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio 45203

Location during restoration
760 West Fifth Street, Cincinnati, Ohio 45203

Send mail to
250 W. Court St., Suite 300 East
Cincinnati, OH 45202

Christine Schmid Engels
National Underground Railroad Freedom Center
Archives Manager
Manuscripts Dept.
50 East Freedom Way, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202
cengels at cincymuseum.org
office  (513) 287-7066
freedomcenter.org<http://freedomcenter.org/>
Find us on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/FreedomCenter/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/freedomcenter> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/freedomcenter/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/user/nurfcenter>

Thank you to the voters of Hamilton County for your support of Union Terminal! Visit www.cincymuseum.org to know more about exhibits and programs.