[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4cast #11

OPLIN Managing Editor editor at oplin.org
Tue Jun 20 14:12:17 EDT 2006

OPLIN 4cast #11 - June 20, 2006
The OPLIN 4cast is a weekly compilation of recent headlines, topics, and trends that could impact public libraries. You can subscribe to it in a variety of ways, such as:
RSS feed. You can receive the OPLIN 4cast via RSS feed by subscribing to the following URL: http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
Live Bookmark. If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar.

This week’s 4cast:
1. The Next Browser Battle Unfolds
As Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Opera continue to unleash upgrades, new technological fronts are opening in the struggle for web browser supremacy.
Browser wars (Wikipedia)
Net Changing, So Are Browsers (Wired News)
Google: No Web browser plans (CNET News)
2. 2.0 Much Information?
Two basic principles of the public library - authoritative content and patron privacy - may be directly undermined by some of the principles guiding the Library 2.0 revolution.
Why Getting the User To Create Web Content Isn't Always Progress (Wall Street Journal)
The Central Problem of Library 2.0: Privacy (Library Juice)
Do We Need Library 3.0? (ACRLog)
3. Dust to Digital Dust
As more and more published works are released in digital formats, concern is growing that much of this output could become lost as digital formats become obsolete.
Fragile digital data in danger of fading past history's reach (Atlanta Journal-Constitution)
Content anxieties in a digital age (WhatPC?)
Web Capture (Library of Congress)
Addressing the permanence issue (blyberg.net)
4. Eye Spies
What do people actually look at when they visit a website? Some recent eye-tracking studies suggest that while no two users are exactly alike, some general patterns do exist.
What I learned from eye tracking (Seth's Blog)
The Best of Eyetrack III:What We Saw When We Looked Through Their Eyes (2004 Poynter Institute study)
The "Eyes" Have It: Eye-Tracking and Usability Study of SchoolRooms (SirsiDynix)

Joel Husenits
Managing Editor
2323 W. 5th Avenue, Suite 130
Columbus, Ohio 43204