[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #313: Ingress at the library?

Editor editor at oplin.org
Wed Dec 19 10:31:08 EST 2012

OPLIN 4Cast

OPLIN 4Cast #313: Ingress at the library?
December 19th, 2012

Ingress logoCome this time next week, thousands of people will be
sitting at home playing with new video games. Some people, however, will
be playing a different sort of game that requires them to move around
outside, and you may even see some of these people wandering around your
library. Google Ingress is an augmented reality game designed for
Android phone users that was launched in late November. You may think
folks are just taking pictures of your library with their smartphones,
but in (augmented) reality, they're playing a game.

  * The true meaning of Google Ingress
    <http://social-media-optimization.com/2012/11/the-true-meaning-of-google-ingress/>
    (Social Media Optimization/Chris Warden) "In a nutshell, the purpose
    of the game is for users to explore the physical world through the
    camera in their smart phone. Using augmented reality, users collect
    virtual currency pieces as they walk along pre-mapped paths, turning
    a leisurely stroll into a collection game similar to Pac-Man. These
    collectible items can be 'cashed in' at other real-world points of
    interest, such as sculptures, libraries, and public art murals."
  * Google's Ingress mobile game combines geo-caching, augmented
    reality, and puzzle games
    <http://mapdash.com/blog/industry/googles-ingress-mobile-game-combines-geo-caching-augmented-reality-and-puzzle-games.html>
    (MapDash blog/Jake Walnut) "The most important aspect of the game
    consists of connecting things called portals. Portals spew the
    strange matter and are located in a variety of creativity-oriented
    public places - libraries, museums, and public parks are excellent
    spots to find them. Once you have used the app to find a portal -
    your screen will display a map that leads to it much like in
    StreetView - you are required to hack it. Hacking is just a fancy
    name for 'checking in' much like on Foursquare or Facebook."
  * Can Google's 'Ingress' game live up to its amazing viral marketing
    campaign?
    <http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/google-ingress-niantic-amazing-viral-marketing-campaign/>
    (Digital Trends/Andy Boxall) "Exactly what it's all about is still
    something of a mystery to those on the outside, but we know portals
    are discovered around your city and can be claimed for your team or
    attacked if they're already owned by the enemy. But the game is
    almost inconsequential next to the storyline the team has built
    around it, one which owes more of a debt to sci-fi film and TV than
    it does to games, and goes way beyond standard mobile game marketing
    campaigns."
  * Google game could be augmented reality's first killer app
    <http://www.technologyreview.com/news/507681/google-game-could-be-augmented-realitys-first-killer-app/>
    (MIT Technology Review/Rachel Metz) "I managed to capture two new
    portals at Yerba Buena Gardens-one at a statue of Martin Luther
    King, Jr. and another at the top of a waterfall-and link them
    together. Across the street, in front of the Contemporary Jewish
    Museum, I hacked an Enlightened portal and fired an XMP at it,
    weakening its resonators. I was then promptly attacked. I fled,
    figuring I wouldn't be able to take down the portal by myself."

*/Play fact:/*

Want to try Ingress yourself? You'll need an Android smartphone, an
invitation from the official website <http://www.ingress.com/>, and an
app from the Google Play Store.
The */OPLIN 4cast/* is a weekly compilation of recent headlines, topics,
and trends that could impact public libraries. You can subscribe to it
in a variety of ways, such as:

  * *RSS feed.* You can receive the OPLIN 4cast via RSS feed by
    subscribing to the following URL:
    http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
  * *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
    to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
    orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In
    Internet Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to
    the 4cast RSS feed.
  * *E-mail.* You can have the OPLIN 4cast delivered via e-mail (a'la
    http://mail.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.

OPLIN 4Cast