[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4cast #387: Social WiFi

Editor editor at oplin.org
Wed May 28 10:30:42 EDT 2014

OPLIN 4Cast

OPLIN 4cast #387: Social WiFi
May 28th, 2014

social wifiEver heard of social WiFi? Well, we know that using /any/
password to authenticate users of a WiFi network, even a simple one
posted on signs around the library, is good practice because it
automatically encrypts the WiFi traffic instead of sending it through
the air in clear text. So what if you asked your library WiFi users to
login with their social media credentials instead of
yet-another-password. And then a library computer could look through
their Facebook postings (for example) to look for the kinds of books
they like to read and send them "ads" for similar books in your library.
That kind of thing is called "social WiFi," and it's a significant trend
in businesses that provide public WiFi.

  * Purple WiFi and Wavelink join forces to offer social WiFi
    <http://connect-world.com/index.php/press-releases/691-press-releases/purple-wifi-and-wavelink-join-forces-to-offer-social-wifi>
    (Connect World/Purple WiFi press release) "The guests log into the
    secure hotspot system using social media authentication, via
    networks such as Facebook or Twitter. The venue providing the
    connection gains valuable demographic and engagement information
    from users through its Purple Portal, which allows the business to
    understand who is visiting and using their hotspot, how long they
    are online, as well as their age, gender and any other relevant
    information that they offer in their social networking profile. The
    portal also provides a powerful engagement tool to promote relevant
    offers, essentially rewarding guests for visiting the venue."
  * Social WiFi sign-in: Benefits with a dark side
    <http://www.networkcomputing.com/wireless-infrastructure/social-wifi-sign-in-benefits-with-a-dark-side/a/d-id/1251043>
    (Network COmputing/Lee Badman) "As strange as it seems, despite the
    wide-open nature of our social media personas, we still expect a
    modicum of control over how our information gets used. Social WiFi
    undercuts that odd, fragile handle we have on our social media data
    to monetize and upsell us in ways that don't make me really
    comfortable. Once the data is mined and conclusions are drawn from
    it, we become new people in the eyes of the social WiFi provider,
    with no control over how the process presents us."
  * Too much information? Facebook, Google face backlash over logins
    <http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304908304579566332777108814>
    (Wall Street Journal/Elizabeth Dwoskin) "Facebook recently said it
    would begin to offer anonymous logins and also allow users to choose
    which data they want to share, a response to privacy concerns. The
    head of Google+ recently stepped down amid signs the social network
    isn't popular with users. 'We've gotten feedback,' said Eddie
    O'Neil, product manager for Facebook Login. 'We first heard from
    people that they want more transparency, second, more control.'"
  * Social Wi-Fi and privacy: Keeping balance in the force
    <http://blog.airtightnetworks.com/category/wifi-access/> (AirTight
    Networks blog/Sean Blanton) "Remember that while mobility is fairly
    ubiquitous in our society, it very much skews to millennials who
    (like myself) are getting older and expanding our interactions
    beyond school and home. I'd argue that free Wi-Fi and a dessert
    coupon in exchange for my name, age and city is a pretty sweet deal,
    and I'd be excited to see what other places I frequent would provide
    me with a tailored experiences instead of generic, seemingly
    unhelpful ones."

*/Login fact:/*

According to recent data collected by LoginRadius
<http://blog.loginradius.com/2014/04/social-login-and-sharing-statistics-for-2014-q1/>,
people use a Facebook account most often for social logins (49%),
followed by Google+ (29%), and Twitter (6%).
The */OPLIN 4cast/* is a weekly compilation of recent headlines, topics,
and trends that could impact public libraries. You can subscribe to it
in a variety of ways, such as:

  * *RSS feed.* You can receive the OPLIN 4cast via RSS feed by
    subscribing to the following URL:
    http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
  * *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
    to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
    orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In
    Internet Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to
    the 4cast RSS feed.
  * *E-mail.* You can have the OPLIN 4cast delivered via e-mail (a'la
    http://mail.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.

OPLIN 4Cast