[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #589: The voices aren't going away, and they're getting even smarter

OPLIN Support support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Apr 11 10:30:17 EDT 2018

OPLIN 4Cast #589: The voices aren't going away, and they're getting even
smarter
April 11th, 2018

[image: red screen with Ransom Skull and Crossbones] I have long held that
I won't be buying any kind of home AI assistant (e.g., Alexa and her ilk).
I have some serious concerns about an always-on, always-listening device.
However, that doesn't mean that I haven't secretly wished that I had one.
Cool new technology plus amazing convenience? I absolutely question my
feelings about privacy repeatedly, every time I watch one of these things
in action. As artificial intelligence tech gets more sophisticated, my
convictions get harder to hang on to.  Not only that, but voice AI
assistants are already joining the workplace--and I may not be able to
avoid them in the very near future.

   -
   - Google declares war against Alexa and Siri at CES 2018
   <https://mashable.com/2018/01/08/google-amazon-artificial-intelligence-ces-2018/#Cb_TV4mhgPqB>
   [Mashable] "My takeaway from the obvious trend was this: Digital assistants