[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #590: The Gmail redesign might not be a disaster

OPLIN Support support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Apr 18 10:30:01 EDT 2018

OPLIN 4Cast #590: The Gmail redesign might not be a disaster
April 18th, 2018

[image: Four colorful Asperands] I remember how dubious I was when I got an
invite for Google's new web mail service. I was curious, but didn't think
I'd ever leave behind Outlook and my carefully-maintained email filing
system. The threaded conversations and search power quickly won me over,
and I can't imagine going back. Google has a history of breaking my heart,
though. They casually delete useful features (like quoting only selected
text in an email reply) or discontinue products I'd been utterly dependent
on (Google Reader), so when news broke this week that they'd be overhauling
Gmail *again*, I felt a chill. The early news, however, has me feeling a
little optimistic.

   -
   - This is the new Gmail design
   <https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/12/17227974/google-gmail-design-features-update-2018-redesign>
   [*The Verge* | Tom Warren] "Google is implementing smart replies for
   Gmail on the web, the same feature from mobile Gmail that provides
   suggestions to quickly reply to emails. A new snooze feature also lets you
   temporarily remove emails from your inbox until a certain time, so you can
   avoid certain email threads until you’re ready to reply."
   - Google's Gmail redesign will display your calendar or to-do list
   <https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/12/google-gmail-redesign-leaked-screenshots/>
    [*Engadget* | Swapna Krisnha] "The sidebar can actually be customized
   depending on what you use the most to show Google Calendar, Keep or Tasks."
   - Gmail.com redesign includes self-destructing emails
   <https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/04/gmail-com-redesign-includes-self-destructing-e-mails/>
   [*Ars Technica* | Ron Amadeo] "The sender can then pick an expiration
   date for the email, and optionally require an SMS passcode to open the
   email. "
   - How to Clean Up Your Overwhelmed Gmail Inbox (by Hand)
   <https://lifehacker.com/how-to-clean-your-overwhelmed-gmail-inbox-by-hand-1825114630>
    [*Lifehacker* | David Murphy] "As you start figuring out who is
   blasting you with a ton of email—which you’re most likely to find in
   Gmail’s “Promotions” tab, if you’re using it—you have a great opportunity
   to make this entire “clean your Inbox” process a lot easier going forward."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Ansaldo, Michael. "5 Hacks for Getting More out of Gmail
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=112783066&site=ehost-live>
   ." *PCWorld*, vol. 34, no. 2, Feb. 2016, pp. 159-162.
   - Patterson, Ben. "Four Tricks Every Gmail for Ios User Should Know
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=108587357&site=ehost-live>
   ." *Macworld - Digital Edition*, vol. 32, no. 5, May 2015, pp. 100-103.
   - SEPPÄLÄ, EMMA. "This Is Your Brain on Gmail
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=pwh&AN=99976616>
   ." *Psychology Today*, vol. 48, no. 1, Jan/Feb2015, p. 12.

   subscribing to the following URL: http://www.oplin.org/4cast/ind
   ex.php/?feed=rss2.
   - *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
   to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
   orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In Internet
   Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to the 4cast RSS
   feed.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast