[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #586: Online gaming levels up

OPLIN Support support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Mar 21 10:30:01 EDT 2018

OPLIN 4Cast #586: Online gaming levels up
March 21st, 2018

[image: silhouette wearing headphones looking at display] I'm generally not
great at video games, not having the skills or the time to develop them,
which means that I miss out on the artistry of game design -- the visuals,
mechanics, voice acting, and interactive narrative. I've only recently
learned how satisfying it can be to consume video games passively, to watch
skilled players <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAW-NpUFkMyCNrvRSSGIvDQ>
move through the game for me. Recent news items show that this
entertainment niche is set to grow explosively.

   -
   - Games will soon livestream directly to Facebook
   <https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/19/facebook-direct-livestreaming-for-games/>
   [Engadget | Jon Fingas] "The social site has unveiled a programming kit
   that lets developers build Facebook livestreaming directly into their
   games, with no go-between client or capture hardware required."
   - Facebook starts direct PC game streaming and spectator in-game rewards
   <https://venturebeat.com/2018/03/19/facebook-starts-direct-pc-game-streaming-and-spectator-in-game-rewards/>
   [VentureBeat | Dean Takahashi] "A new rewards feature enables developers to
   grant free, in-game rewards for viewers that tune in during livestreams on
   Facebook. Rewards help to increase community interaction as players watch
   together while also offering an incentive to jump back into the games."
   - Microsoft’s new gaming cloud division readies for a future beyond Xbox
   <https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/15/17123452/microsoft-gaming-cloud-xbox-future>
   [The Verge | Tom Warren] “We believe there is going to be 2 billion gamers
   in the world, and our goal is to reach every one of them.”
   - Drake breaks new streaming record—in video games
   <https://phys.org/news/2018-03-drake-streaming-recordin-video-games.html>
   [Phys.org] "Seeing a top gamer and musician come together on Twitch and
   unite their large and passionate communities is a cultural moment in terms
   of building awareness around the appeal of social video and it's only going
   to grow from here."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Jungar, Eirik. "Streaming Video Games: Copyright Infringement or
   Protected Speech?
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=120533059&site=ehost-live>
   " *Press Start*, vol. 3, no. 2, July 2016, pp. 22-47.
   - Chittom, Lynn-nore and Laura Finley. "Point: Virtual Worlds Are
   Addictive and Time-Consuming
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=pwh&AN=28675353&site=pov-live>
   ." *Points of View: Virtual Worlds & Mmorpgs*, 3/1/2016, p. 2.
   - Fiona, Wilson. "On to the Next Level: Why Novelists Now Write Video
   Games
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=nfh&AN=7EH113328666>
   ." *Times, the (United Kingdom)*, 02 June 2016, p. 8,9.

   subscribing to the following URL: http://www.oplin.org/4cast/
   index.php/?feed=rss2.
   - *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
   to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
   orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In Internet
   Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to the 4cast RSS
   feed.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast