[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #620: Phone screens are getting bigger--and foldable

OPLIN Support support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Nov 14 10:30:01 EST 2018

OPLIN 4Cast #620: Phone screens are getting bigger--and foldable
November 14th, 2018

[image: concept of foldable smartphone. 3D illustration on white background]
The struggle is real: my aging eyes want larger print, but I can't fit a
huge phone into my pocket. (I'm just grateful that people have stopped
trying to make the word "phablet" happen.) Samsung thinks they have the
solution with their "Infinity Flex Display." It's still the same OLED
display common to most smartphones, but instead of a glass cover it employs
an "advanced composite polymer" -- fancy plastic, in other words -- which
will let you fold the tablet-sized device for easy pocket storage.

Meanwhile, most of my bifocal-wearing friends and family lug around big
iPhone X's. Apple has quietly admitted to problems with those screens --
not responding to touch, or responding to touches that haven't happened --
and they're replacing the screens for free.

   -
   - Samsung’s foldable phone is real, and it launches next year
   <https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/11/samsung-shows-off-foldable-phone-prototype-promises-launch-next-year/>
   (*Ars Technica*) "The device opens and closes like a book, and there are
   actually two screens. When closed, you'll see a rigid, smartphone-style
   screen on the front of the device. Opening the 'book' will reveal a second,
   much larger bendable screen on the inside of the device."
   - Google says Android will natively support ‘foldables’ to limit
   fragmentation
   <https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/7/18071720/google-android-foldables-fragmentation-displays>
   [*The Verge*] "Google has been waging a never-ending battle against
   fragmentation on Android, and a new form factor is a potential inflection
   point. As manufacturers race to create devices, they’re going to need
   software that can support them."
   - Samsung's First Flexible Phone Could Cost $1,700, and That Price Seems
   Totally Reasonable
   <https://gizmodo.com/samsungs-first-flexible-phone-could-cost-1-700-and-th-1830381704>
   [*Gizmodo*] "Samsung’s flexible phone is still going to be a major loss
   leader. The point of the phone is to explore a new way to make a phone, and
   then use that info to refine the experience for future bendy devices."
   - Apple Says Some IPhone X Units Have Faulty Touch Screens
   <https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-09/apple-says-some-iphone-x-units-have-faulty-touch-screens>
    [*Bloomberg*] "Apple hadn’t previously responded to reports of problems
   with iPhone X screens, but it had opened similar replacement programs in
   the past for older iPhone models with screen issues, including the iPhone
   6."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Forrest, Stephen R. "Light-emitting diode
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2232/advanced/article?id=ar753327&st=oled>
   ." *World Book Advanced*, World Book, 2018.
   - Bertolucci, Jeff. “What’s the Big Deal?: Analyzing the size explosion
   in smartphones
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cmh&AN=101459753>
   .” *Saturday Evening Post*, vol. 287, no. 2, Mar. 2015, p. 82.
   - “Your Phablet
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=f5h&AN=132403707&site=ehost-live>.”
   Consumer Reports, vol. 83, no. 12, Dec. 2018, p. 18.

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   - *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
   to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
   orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In Internet
   Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to the 4cast RSS
   feed.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.