[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #621: Microchips aren't just for pets...now they're for employees

OPLIN Support support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Nov 21 10:31:19 EST 2018

OPLIN 4Cast #621: Microchips aren't just for pets...now they're for
employees
November 21st, 2018

[image: Bionic microchip (processor) inside male human body] I've given
presentations on technology trends for a good number of years, and the
reactions to most trends generally run the gamut from "Hey, that's cool!"
to "Ok, well, maybe that will impact me, but I doubt it." But, in 2017,
when I would start explaining how Wisconsin-based tech company Three Square
Market implanted microchips in 100 employees
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2018/08/23/this-firm-already-microchips-employees-could-your-ailing-relative-be-next/?utm_term=.449d94ccb36c>
(the employees volunteered), it was always easy to read the room: attendees
would typically get visibly antsy or even upset. The chips allowed for
fairly innocuous actions, such as opening doors or getting snacks from
vending machines. However, the whole idea of implanting a device directly
into a human freaked many out...especially because we, as library folks,
consider privacy a large facet of what we do.

So, if you weren't already nervous, the recent news about the uptick in
microchip biohacking probably will make sure you are. Or, maybe you're
finally thinking about how you could never lose your ID or keys again.

   -
   - Swedish cyborg craze sees more than 4,000 Swedes insert chips under
   their skin
   <https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/sweden-cyborg-rfid-chips-biohackers-biohax-a8601601.html>
   [The Independent] "Biohax, one of the companies involved in implanting the
   chips, said it has now carried out more than 4,000 "installs" of the
   technology since it launched five years ago, allowing people to replace
   physical key cards, IDs and train tickets."
   - How I Lost and Regained Control of My Microchip Implant
   <https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/3k9q49/how-i-lost-and-regained-control-of-my-microchip-implant>
   [Motherboard] "If I had a single piece of advice for anyone thinking about
   getting an NFC chip implant it would be to do it sober...you won’t wake up
   the next morning with a splitting headache and absolutely no idea how to
   unlock your hand."
   - More companies are chipping their workers like pets
   <https://www.engadget.com/2018/11/16/employee-microchip-security-orwell/>
   [Engadget] " *The Telegraph* tells us about
   <https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2018/11/10/major-uk-companies-preparing-microchip-employees/>
'a
   number of UK legal and financial firms' are in talks with a chip company to
   implant their employees with RFID microchips for security purposes."
   - Is it ever OK to microchip your employees?
   <https://www.peoplemanagement.co.uk/news/articles/is-it-ever-ok-microchip-employees>
   [People Management] "For many, microchips are an intrusion too far and open
   the door to dubious forms of monitoring employees’ movements and
   communications. But for the companies that offer them, it is a question of
   convenience."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Chipping Away at Privacy?
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=26578489&site=ehost-live>
   (Zalud, B. (2007). Chipping Away at Privacy? *Security: Solutions for
   Enterprise Security Leaders*, *44*(9), 18–24.)
   - Invasion of the Body Hackers
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=132474267&site=ehost-live>
   (Nicola, S. (2018). Invasion of The Body Hackers. *Bloomberg
   Businessweek*, (4589), 22–23.)
   - I've Got You Under My Skin
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2460/ehost/detail/detail?vid=0&sid=8ba63217-4dfa-4740-9a2d-f99a5839cdd7%40sessionmgr102&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#AN=14401309&db=buh>
   (Krummert, B. (2004). I’ve Got You Under My Skin. *Restaurant
   Hospitality*, *88*(9), 19.)

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   - *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
   to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
   orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In Internet
   Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to the 4cast RSS
   feed.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.