[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #654: "Superhuman" email probably isn't

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Jul 10 10:30:01 EDT 2019

OPLIN 4Cast #654: "Superhuman" email probably isn't
July 10th, 2019

[image: a flurry of envelopes on a blue background] I am really good at
email. I have 230 message filters combined in my work and personal
accounts. Between those filters and a ruthless policy of unsubscribing to
most marketing emails, my inboxes are beautifully manicured gardens of
delight and my archives are glorious memory palaces.

Because I continue to use my inboxes as "To Do" lists, I seldom reach the
coveted *Inbox (0)*, and it never lasts long. That's why something like
Superhuman, the invitation-only service aimed at people who spend more than
three hours a day on email, caught my interest. But it seems as soon as I
heard about Superhuman, the buzz turned bad.

   -
   - Would You Pay $30 a Month to Check Your Email?
   <https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/27/technology/superhuman-email.html> (*New
   York Times*) "Some of the app’s features — such as ones that let users
   undo sending, track when their emails are opened and automatically pull up
   a contact’s LinkedIn profile — are available in other third-party email
   plug-ins. But there are bells and whistles that I hadn’t seen before."
   - Superhuman says it will disable email read receipts by default after
   privacy controversy
   <https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/3/20681655/superhuman-email-app-spying-controversy-policy-change-read-receipts>
   (*The Verge*) "Vohra’s apology post is remarkable in that it tackles
   many of the concerns leveled at read receipts head-on. He admits that
   Superhuman was using pixel trackers, spells out how they work, admits they
   could have been abused by bad actors, and generally doesn’t come across as
   particularly defensive."
   - Superhuman’s Superficial Privacy Fixes Do Not Prevent It From Spying
   on You
   <https://mikeindustries.com/blog/archive/2019/07/superhumans-superficial-privacy-fixes-do-not-prevent-it-from-spying-on-you>
   (*Mike Industries*) "The message that sender-controlled read receipts
   send is 'I’m watching you, I’ve been watching you, and you didn’t even know
   it'. Can you imagine ever saying that to someone, in any context, and
   having it go well?"
   - How to Stop Superhuman (and Other Apps) From Tracking Your Email Opens
   <https://www.howtogeek.com/427454/how-to-stop-superhuman-and-other-apps-from-tracking-your-email-opens/>
   (*How-To Geek*) "To stop email open tracking, you’ll just need to turn
   off the 'automatically load images' setting in your email client of choice."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Duffy, Jill. “5 Ways to Email Better
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=f5h&AN=120358304&site=ehost-live>
   .” *PC Magazine*, Jan. 2017, p. 100.
   - Martin, Nigel, et al. “Expectations of Privacy and Trust: Examining
   the Views of IT Professionals
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=115589817&site=ehost-live>.”
   *Behaviour & Information Technology*, vol. 35, no. 6, June 2016, pp.
   500–510.
   - Batesole, Brad. "How online analytics work
   <https://www.lynda.com/Marketing-tutorials/How-online-analytics-work/693114/760703-4.html>."
   *Online Marketing Foundations*. 29 Jun 2018.
   https://www.lynda.com/Marketing-tutorials/How-online-analytics-work/693114/760703-4.html
   .

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.