[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #655: Shopping tech advances, and (some) anticipation increases

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Jul 17 10:30:02 EDT 2019

OPLIN 4Cast #655: Shopping tech advances, and (some) anticipation increases
July 17th, 2019

[image: hand holding mobile smart phone with mobile shop on supermarket
blur background and shopping bags - e-commerce concept] Even though I work
in IT, I'm not a fan of *all* technologies. When shopping, I will
begrudgingly make use of self-checkouts (as long as I don't have to deal
with produce lookups) and I do sometimes find price check stations handy.
But some forthcoming retail tech, such as allowing myself to be tracked in
exchange for a discount, make me nervous--and I'm not the only one
<https://readwrite.com/2019/07/08/technologies-redefining-in-store-customer-experience/>.
More than 75% of the respondents in RichRelevance's 2018 study agree. And
the other technologies listed also tend to have some "creepy" factor. With
the evolution and continued embedding of AI in so many industries, that's
probably to be expected. But some consumers are excited about forthcoming
retail advances.

   -
   - Investments, New Platforms Mark First Half of 2019
   <https://wwd.com/business-news/technology/technology-update-1203212976/>
   [WWD] " This past spring, offer management platform provider RevTrax rolled
   out a version of its solution that is powered by artificial
   intelligence and machine learning to 'effectively target and deliver the
   right offers to consumers quicker and more efficiently.' The upgrade will
   allow the company to 'observe behavior at scale and categorize the
   behaviors and patterns faster than ever before.' "
   - Target Outages Illustrate Retail’s Growing Tech Complexity
   <https://www.wsj.com/articles/target-outages-illustrate-retails-growing-tech-complexity-11560806017>
   [Wall Street Journal] " Target said it knew many customers had a
   'frustrating shopping experience' at its stores over the weekend. 'We’re
   working tirelessly to ensure these issues don’t happen again,' the company
   said. "
   - US consumers embracing new retail technologies
   <https://www.just-style.com/news/us-consumers-embracing-new-retail-technologies_id136510.aspx>
   [Just-Style] "US consumers are embracing the use of retail technology to
   improve their shopping experience, including smart dressing rooms,
   augmented reality, and virtual fit, the findings of a new report show."
   - Retailers not meeting shopper in-store tech expectations, A.T. Kearney
   <https://retailtechinnovationhub.com/home/2019/7/15/retailers-not-meeting-shopper-in-store-tech-expectations-at-kearney>
   [Retail Tech Innovation Hub] " When faced with the existing show-and-tell
   of emerging retail technologies, US consumers have heard the "tell" but
   have yet to see the "show”, according to research by A.T. Kearney involving
   1,000 people "

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Challenges and solutions of implementing retail technology
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=134269752&site=ehost-live>
   ( Engel, D. (2019). Challenges and solutions of implementing retail
   technology. *Furniture/Today*, *43*(21), 10–12. )
   - What Retail Workers Say About Technology Potentially Eliminating Their
   Jobs
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=134988382&site=ehost-live>
   ( Vanian, J. (2019). What Retail Workers Say About Technology Potentially
   Eliminating Their Jobs. *Fortune.Com*, N.PAG. )
   - Microsoft moves into retail to put an end to queues
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=pwh&AN=130140916>
   ( Angela Jameson. (2018, June 14). Microsoft moves into retail to put an
   end to queues. *Evening Standard*, p. 65. )

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.