[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #650: Your GPS is bad for you, but it's not going away

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Jun 12 10:30:02 EDT 2019

OPLIN 4Cast #650: Your GPS is bad for you, but it's not going away
June 12th, 2019

[image: Creative abstract GPS satellite navigation, travel, tourism and
location route planning business concept: modern black glossy touchscreen
smartphone or mobile phone with wireless navigator map service internet
application on screen and group of colorful destination pointer marker
icons isolated on white background] "Ditch the GPS. It's ruining your brain
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ditch-the-gps-its-ruining-your-brain/2019/06/05/29a3170e-87af-11e9-98c1-e945ae5db8fb_story.html?utm_term=.9977f1a61187>,"
writes M. R. O'Connor in a recent *Washington Post* editorial. O'Connor is
the author of *Wayfinding: The Science and Mystery of How Humans Navigate
the World* (St. Martins Press, 2019), and what she says isn't new to me. I
have always had a terrible sense of direction, but I know it has gotten
much worse with the convenience of saying, "OK Google, navigate to ____."
Apparently, our reliance on turn-by-turn directions has a deeper effect on
perception and judgment, and even on our ability to imagine the future. But
if recent news is any indication, it's only going to get easier and more
convenient to stick with the navigation assistance from our phones.

   -
   - Google Maps' New AR Walking Directions Are Pretty Cool
   <https://lifehacker.com/google-maps-new-ar-walking-directions-are-pretty-cool-1834640904>
   (*Lifehacker*)
   "When it’s activated, you’ll sometimes see a virtual sign to let you
   know about how far away you are from your next turn. As you approach, you
   might also see a gigantic blue arrow in the sky, letting you know how
   important it is that you *do not miss this turn*."
   - Apple gives Maps a major rebuild, includes Street View-like 3D imagery
   <https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/03/apple-maps-rebuild/> (*TechCrunch*)
   "The Maps reveal also is important for one other aspect: the company has
   been going big on the privacy angle, not least because others have not."
   - Google Assistant comes to Waze, allows for hands-free incident reports
   <https://www.androidauthority.com/waze-google-assistant-integration-996804/>
   (*Android Authority*)
   "Now, instead of having to jump through several on-screen menus to
   report a broken-down car or construction, users can say, 'Hey Google,
   report debris on the road.'"
   - Google Maps tests a new alert for when your taxi goes off route
   <https://www.xda-developers.com/google-maps-taxi-goes-off-route/> (*XDA
   Developers*)
   "Last week, Google added the functionality to track delays in public
   transport and view auto-rickshaw fares
   <https://www.xda-developers.com/google-maps-public-transport-indian-railways/>
for
   Google Maps users in India. This is among the several India-first
   initiatives <https://forindia.withgoogle.com/intl/en/> that Google has
   taken eyeing the massive opportunities in the country."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - STULEANEC, Andreea, and M. V. Herbei. “Can I Be Tracked by Google?
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=133660510&site=ehost-live>
   ” *Research Journal of Agricultural Science*, vol. 50, no. 4, Dec. 2018,
   pp. 351–360.
   - D’Onfro, Jillian. “How Google’s Work With Motorbike Riders In India
   Demonstrates Its Plan For Emerging Markets
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=136460111&site=ehost-live>
   .” *Forbes.Com*, May 2019, p. N.PAG.
   - “28 Waze: FOR CLEARING THE ROADS
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=127872973&site=ehost-live>.
   (Cover Story).” *Fast Company*, no. 223, Mar. 2018, pp. 66–67.

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.