[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #651: Cars are speeding into the future, but can we keep up?

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Jun 19 10:30:01 EDT 2019

OPLIN 4Cast #651: Cars are speeding into the future, but can we keep up?
June 19th, 2019

[image: male hand using navigation system on car dashboard] When I saw my
first backup camera in a friend's car, years ago, I was stunned. I assumed
she was wealthy (she wasn't) and thought that kind of feature was limited
only to those with significant amounts of cash. Fast-forward several years,
and backup cameras are nearly a standard feature. Even *I* have one, now.
Once in a while, I force myself to back up the car using only mirrors, for
fear that I will simply forget that hard-earned skill. (But,
not-so-secretly, I prefer the camera.) What other new features are going to
be standard soon?

   -
   - Toyota will add automatic engine shut off and auto-park to all new
   vehicles
   <https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/13/toyota-automatic-engine-shut-off-auto-park/>
   [Engadget] "  If a vehicle is left running for a predetermined amount of
   time, the engine will automatically shut off. If a driver exits a vehicle
   without putting it in park, it will automatically shift and/or apply the
   parking brake."
   - Hydrogen Cars Replacing Teslas as Eco-Conscious Hollywood Obsession
   <https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hydrogen-cars-replacing-teslas-as-eco-conscious-hollywood-obsession-1217149>
   [Hollywood Reporter] " Costing less than a Tesla Model S or X while
   providing equivalent range, hydrogen cars — or fuel cell electric vehicles
   (FCEVs) — use an on-board fuel cell that combines hydrogen (from a fuel
   station) and oxygen (from the air) to power an electric motor. With zero
   carbon emissions, an FCEV has only one byproduct: a few ounces of water
   puddling under the tailpipe while parked. "
   - Cars are still dumber than phones, but here’s how automakers and tech
   companies are boosting their IQ
   <https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/the-future-of-in-car-infotainment-systems/>
   [Digital Trends] " The shift is long overdue, because motorists are often
   underwhelmed and/or frustrated with the infotainment system programmed in
   their car’s dashboard. That’s why millions of drivers use third-party apps
   like Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, which completely override the native
   software. This puts the systems that automakers have spent millions on out
   of sight and out of mind. When it comes to technology, why are cars so far
   behind smartphones and laptops? "
   - 'Fallout Shelter' is coming to Tesla cars
   <https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/13/fallout-shelter-coming-to-tesla-cars/>
   [Engadget] " To play Tesla's eclectic line up of games, users will have to
   keep their car in park -- which is probably for the best for everyone. The
   vehicles will support PS4 and Xbox controllers, though racing titles will
   be compatible with car controls. Gamers will be able to use their steering
   wheel to control their virtual racer and use the brake pedal to slow down
   in the game. The accelerator will be off-limits for safety purposes. "

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - CURMUDGEON US. MILLENNIAL: NEWER CAR TECHNOLOGY IS KING OF THE ROAD,
   WITH EVEN GREATER POTENTIAL--AND QUESTIONS--AHEAD.
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=136595834&site=ehost-live>
   ( LANDER, J. (2019). Curmudgeon Us. Millennial: Newer Car Technology Is
   King of the Road, with Even Greater Potential--And
Questions--Ahead. *Inventors’
   Digest*, *35*(5), 28–29. )
   - North America IoT Sensor Market 2017-2018 & 2019-2027 - Growing
   Application Of IoT And Connected Devices / Introduction Of Connected Cars /
   Mounting Adoption Of Advanced Technologies
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cmh&AN=201905241300PR.NEWS.USPR.IO62761>
   ( Psychological Assoc.)References PR Newswire. (2019, May 24). North
   America IoT Sensor Market 2017-2018 & 2019-2027 - Growing Application Of
   IoT And Connected Devices / Introduction Of Connected Cars / Mounting
   Adoption Of Advanced Technologies. *PR Newswire US*.
   - New technologies making car insurance costlier in UK (New technologies
   making car insurance costlier in UK.
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cmh&AN=96A21800285016>(2019).
   *Global Banking News (GBN)*. )

   subscribing to the following URL: