[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #638: Time's up to learn about TikTok

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Mar 20 10:39:06 EDT 2019

OPLIN 4Cast #638: Time's up to learn about TikTok
March 20th, 2019

[image: Woman holding iPhone X streaming service media and video TikTok]
When I read in the *New York Times* last week that, statistically, it was
likely that I'd heard of TikTok and equally as likely that I didn't
understand it, I thought, "Yep, that's true. Sounds like a 4cast." I'm too
old to really get invested in short-form videos of people lip-syncing,
dancing, imitating their microwave ovens
<https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/microwave-challenge>, and what-not, but
what's really interesting to me are the innovations that TikTok is making
to suck you in quickly and hold on to your attention so it can make money
off of you.

   -
   - A Beginner's Guide to TikTok
   <https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-use-tik-tok/> [*Wired*] "The app is
   fast-paced and chaotic, combining elements of Spotify, Snapchat, Vine, and
   Twitch into a single social network. Here’s what you need to know to get
   started."
   - How TikTok Is Rewriting the World
   <https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/10/style/what-is-tik-tok.html?emc=edit_tu_20190315>
   [*New York Times*] "It is constantly learning from you and, over time,
   builds a presumably complex but opaque model of what you tend to watch, and
   shows you more of that, or things like that, or things related to that, or,
   honestly, who knows, but it seems to work. TikTok starts making assumptions
   the second you’ve opened the app, before you’ve really given it anything to
   work with."
   - TikTok parent Bytedance is getting serious about games
   <https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/19/tiktok-bytedance-games/> [*TechCrunch*]
   "These stripped-down forms of apps within a super app have been a
   sought-after way for Chinese tech giants to lock users in rather than
   sending them to download a stand-alone app."
   - FTC Enters Consent Decree with TikTok and Issues Largest-Ever Fine
   Under COPPA
   <https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=c72666fb-bdc5-4eaf-bf99-41bee13ac2cf>
   [*Lexology*] "The FTC targeted TikTok for collecting the name, phone
   number, and email address of users under the age of 13. In addition,
   through the app’s messaging system, concerns arose that adults could reach
   out to children directly."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Canada Newswire. “Musical.Ly and TikTok Unite to Debut New Worldwide
   Short Form Video Platform
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bwh&AN=201808020030CANADANWCANADAPR.C4678&site=ehost-live>.”
   *Canada Newswire*, 2 Aug. 2018.
   - Newcomb, Alyssa. “FTC’s Record Fine to TikTok Makes One Thing Clear:
   Illegally Collecting Kids’ Data Won’t Be Tolerated
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=134966215&site=bsi-live>
   .” *Fortune.Com*, Feb. 2019, p. N.PAG
   - “Digital Cocaine – Tiktok
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=FCZ5TTN20190127.00003&site=ehost-live>
   .” *Technology Times*, 27 Jan. 2019.

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   - *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
   to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
   orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In Internet
   Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to the 4cast RSS
   feed.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.