[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #639: Fast food will soon be coming with a side of high-tech

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Mar 27 10:30:01 EDT 2019

OPLIN 4Cast #639: Fast food will soon be coming with a side of high-tech
March 27th, 2019

[image: hamburger with fries on wooden table] I don't tend to give a lot of
thought to fast food (and tend to avoid it outright). However, recently, I
did take my son to McDonald's drive-through, and was struck by the new
screen that showed what I was ordering and how much it cost, in real time.
It was much larger than the previous readout that had been attached to the
ordering speaker. The readability was significantly better, with black text
on a white background, instead of looking like an enlarged digital watch
from the 1980s. That's not to say I was thrilled to be at a McDonald's, but
I could at least appreciate the improvement in the user experience.

As it turns out, the changes to the order readout is the least of the those
that are likely coming. Not just to McDonald's, but to fast food in
general. Surprisingly, the news is filled with how fast food tech is
evolving.

   -
   - McDonalds bites on Big Data with $300 million acquisition
   <https://www.wired.com/story/mcdonalds-big-data-dynamic-yield-acquisition/>
   [Wired] "Algorithms crunch data as diverse as the weather, time of day,
   local traffic, nearby events, and of course historical sales data, both at
   that specific franchise and around the world. In the new McDonald’s
   machine-learning paradigm, significant display real estate goes toward
   showing customers what other items have been popular at that location, and
   prompting them with potential upsells. Thanks for your Happy Meal order;
   maybe you’d like a Sprite to go with it. "
   - Why we should all be worried about McDonald's investment in AI
   <https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/03/26/should-worried-macdonalds-investment-ai/>[The
   Telegraph] "The deal means McDonald's can now use a combination of
   intrusive personal data collection and intelligent algorithmic advertising
   to reveal a potential customers' guiltiest pleasures, and perhaps even if
   they had one too many drinks the night before. "
   - 'Holly' will change the way you order fast food
   <https://www.wtvy.com/content/news/Holly-will-change-the-way-you-order-fast-food-507396491.html>
   [WTVY.com] "Being the first location in the United States to use artificial
   intelligence in the fast food ordering process, Carpenter said it could
   take time for customers to adjust to the change. However, with artificial
   intelligence technology transforming industries across the world, Carpenter
   said his company had a great opportunity to operate at the forefront of the
   technology in the food industry. "
   - How self-cooking kitchens are being franchised in restaurants
   <https://www.forbes.com/sites/lanabandoim/2019/03/25/how-self-cooking-kitchens-are-being-franchised-in-restaurants/#617706e81589>[Forbes]
   " 'No longer does a line cook need to stand over a griddle flipping and
   scraping chicken, kebabs and salmon or watching for the proper cooked
   temperature, crispness and golden caramelization that we expect in our
   food. They simply place food on a tray and load it into the self-cooking
   center. They then select a preprogrammed cooking profile by touching an
   actual photo of the product they are cooking on a digital display and press
   start. They are free to do other tasks while the cooking program runs,'
   Hodak explains. "

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Still hungry? Order seconds with Chik-fil-A's call button
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=132578733&site=ehost-live>
   ( Luna, N. (2018). Still hungry? Order seconds with Chick-fil-A’s call
   button. *Nation’s Restaurant News*, *52*(14), N.PAG. )
   - Future shock: technology is changing our lives in unexpected ways
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=129940825&site=ehost-live>(
   Matthews, D. (2018). Future shock: Technology is changing our lives in
   unexpected ways. *Roads & Bridges*, *56*(6), 82. )
   - McDonald's change sparks outrage ( McDonald’s change sparks outrage
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cmh&AN=apn.AA1E1D3E>
   . (2019). *Daily News (Warwick)*, p. 8. )

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   - *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
   to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
   orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In Internet
   Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to the 4cast RSS
   feed.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.